Searching for advice to improve FPS on HD3000

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Searching for advice to improve FPS on HD3000

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

After going from v0.15 to v0.16 I notice heavy lag when I stand among trees. Which settings can I change to improve performance (most)? I don't care what it looks like, I just want to play without lag. The GPU is a HD3000, so not too good.

Intel Core-i7 2600K HD3000.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Searching for advice to improve FPS on HD3000

Post by posila »

Because you didn't include Factorio log file, I don't know what your current settings are, so I'll assume they are all at default values for HD3000.

Try to enable "Enable tree sprite mipmaps"

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

i have similar setup 2500K @ 4.3Ghz with HD 3000

the settting i'm using that seem stable for me.
smoke is a killer, so are lots of trees. i found the tree sprite mipmaps enabled problematic. although that was many versions ago.
[edit] i just tried tree sprite mipmaps on 0.16.35 and there is HUGE screen freezing happening. HD 3000 no likey that setting.[/edit]
[edit2]the system kernel uses 45% CPU when i enable it for long periods. :shock: [/edit2]
graphics settings
i also go into BIOS and set the memory used by integrated graphics to 1024. (max for my board)
another thing i did is go into intel graphics and make a custom screen rez of 1440x1080 @ 60hz. that helped a ton while full screen.
[edit3]disabling decoratives will give you a boost. gpu usage just gets hammered in 0.16 looking at usage in MSI afterburner.

hope this helps ya.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Thanks for all the info!

I'll try the settings tonight and report back.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

you are welcome. us toaster users have to stick together. :P

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

@impetus maximus
I used your settings with the only difference that 'Show item shadows' is on for me.

It didn't seem to help all that much. It still dips at times. It is 99% of the time working fine (60/60 fps/ups) and then dips to 50-ish/50-ish. That seems fine, but the 'hiccups' are about the same as when the game saves. Everything stops for a tiny amount of time. For instance, when dragging a belt path it will leave a gap when such a hiccup occurs, forcing me to walk back to the gap to fix it.

It's not the end of the world, but it is a returning annoyance.

@Developers
1. Will the situation improve when you switch to the newer graphics engine in v0.17? Or will it make it even worse for us 'toaster' owners?

2. Some games have the option to set the fps to 30 or 60. Is it possible to get a solid 30 fps in Factorio instead of getting those hiccups at 60 fps? Or would we still have hiccups at 30 fps?

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

0.16 seems to put more of a load on the GPU than 0.15 did. which makes sense since there is more to render.

yeah, i get pauses in FPS if i'm exploring. seems like loading a chunk into graphics causes it? :|

turning off decoratives takes some of the load off graphics, but they are so nice to loook at!

you can backup your config file, and try playing with settings one at a time to see if it helps or hurts performance.
back it up so if something goes wrong you can load the working config.

one thing you might consider trying is running in OpenGL.

change this line in config.

Code: Select all

; Options: true, false
 force-opengl=true

i've upgraded my toaster graphics to better toaster graphics. a GT 730 4GB.
so i won't be much help from now on. but if the devs want to use me to help debug HD 3000 performance just PM me!

Return to “Technical Help”