How do you figure out which entities are using UPS?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

How do you figure out which entities are using UPS?

Post by AngledLuffa »

I'm starting to run into some UPS troubles: 50 UPS instead of 60, most of the time. I've been fighting this by picking up unused belts and exhausted miners when possible, but I don't even know if that helps. In the time usage, it seems 2.5ms is used for transport calculations and 14ms for entities, with the rest going to a variety of things. Entities seems like the most promising place to optimize. How do I even figure out which entities are using that much time, though?

Thanks!

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How do you figure out which entities are using UPS?

Post by keyboardhack »

There is afaik only one way to measure which entities uses the most ups, and that's by using a program profiler. Actually downloading the profiler and getting it to work is probably way to much work unless you have used one before.
As an alternative you can upload your save file and i can do the profiling for you.
Waste of bytes : P

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

Thanks, that would be very helpful! I'm currently traveling, but I should be able to upload it in a day or so. I'll ping you when I do.

E-37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by E-37 »

I've noticed that mods often use a significant amount of UPS. If you are using mods, try to remove any that you aren't really using. I've found that removing 10-20 mods (out of 40) boosted my UPS from 30 to 40. That may just be because my computer is a toaster with hardly any memory. Another approch you could try is to save the current game under a different name and install the creative mode mod. Then you can try building large numbers of different entities and seeing how they affect your UPS. (I wouldn't make a new game since it may take a large amount of building to see any affect on the UPS)
Good things come in bags marked "SWAG"

Return to “Technical Help”