Item leakage in heavily overclocked assembling machines

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Item leakage in heavily overclocked assembling machines

Post by MPeti1 »

Hi!
First i need to note that i still use 0.14 because i use mods and i don't want to stop playing on my factory.

There is a mechanism in Factorio which doesn't allow manipulators and loaders to put items to a machine if the item's number in it reaches a limit. This limit is increasing if the machine is overclocked.
Now the problem. If i have a machine, it's overclocked about +1800% and I put the items to it via a loader, there is a chance items will endlessly load in it without any limit.

I understand the devs will not fix it, because it's an old version, and also beta, but how can i fix it?
There are some ideas what i thought about, but don't know how to do them.
  • First i thought what if i set up a belt to turn off if the output/input item is more/less than a certain amount. I did it, sometimes it solved the problem, but i can't do it everywhere effectively. (You can see it under the most left oil refinery)
    Then i thought what if i could measure the amount of items in a machine by circuits. But.. I don't know a way to do that, because i can't attach wires to most of the machines.
    Then i thought how could i count how many items went in, and how many out, but in most cases it would be too complex and too big.
    Finally, i thought maybe if i make a mod, i could add functionality to count the machines' items with circuits, or also it would be good if i could set a max limit of items
Then i thought i could come here to ask the engineers how would they solve it :D
So, What would you do to avoid this bug?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Item leakage in heavily overclocked assembling machines

Post by Rseding91 »

MPeti1 wrote:So, What would you do to avoid this bug?
Update to 0.16 where it's fixed :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

It's fixed? Good to know :D but i don't want to update at the moment, because i think i don't "finished" it :/ (ah, everyone knows a factory can't be finished :D )
Any other solution? :/

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Duplicate of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49523

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

Optera wrote:Duplicate of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49523
In 0.14 the bug is there without removing the speed modules so it's not a complete duplicate (i think), but thanks for the link, I've found the mod inventory sensor which is made by you, and it's compatible with 0.14 :D I'll try it when i get home

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Any reason why you don't update to 0.15.40?

MPeti1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MPeti1 »

Optera wrote:Any reason why you don't update to 0.15.40?
I use a lot of mods, and some are not being updated, and some are rewritten, so if i would update i would lost a bunch of things. Also i have some mods modified* and in the beginning i forgot to write notes about what did i changed.

*In some cases i modified the config file (for example in orbital ion cannon), and in some cases i modified prototypes because they were nerfed and then they were not much better than vanilla items (for example in factorio extended).

Trust me, i want to update but i don't want to start a new factory now :D

On the other hand it seems everything is ok (except ups :DDD but it's not because the inventory sensor, it was a problem for a long time) since i equipped machine inputs with inventory sensors and set the belts to turn off if they see enough items went in the machine. many thanks for that mod, it saves me from hair loss :D

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

How about you learn Lua then?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Technical Help”