[0.16.7] Joining games via steam not working

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zajosk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.7] Joining games via steam not working

Post by zajosk »

Hi,

I am having problems playing multiplayer games via steam. I have seen multiple threads on this forum with this problem, but they were mostly a year or more old, had lacking info about the problem and usually no useful responses, hence I created this sepparate thread with the maximum information I was able to come up with to help track the problem down.

I am hosting a public game on a computer, this computer is behind a router that I don't have admin rights to, hence no port forwarding is possible, I am running through NAT. I know for a fact, that I was able to play other games while being behind a NAT (Left 4 dead).

Other bits of info:
- The game versions match.
- Turning off firewalls on both computers didn't help.
- We tried multiple connecting times to join, it didn't help.

The other player:
1) sees the game in the public server list and can attempt to join from therethere,
2) Can press join game via the steam friends list.

Regardless of the way the other player tries to join (friends list, public games), after attempting to join, the message "Couldn't establish network communication with server." shows up.

In the log files, this can be seen (IP removed):

Code: Select all

34.017 Joining game xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:34197
  34.017 Info UDPSocket.cpp:33: Opening socket
  34.019 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:573: MapTick(4294967295) changing state from(Ready) to(Connecting)
  34.856 Warning TransmissionControlHelper.cpp:172: Fragment 0000 failed too many times
  35.706 Error ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:95: MultiplayerManager failed: multiplayer.not-received-connection-accept-reply
  35.706 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:573: MapTick(4294967295) changing state from(Connecting) to(InitializationFailed)
  36.573 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:188: Quitting multiplayer connection.
  36.573 Info ClientMultiplayerManager.cpp:573: MapTick(4294967295) changing state from(InitializationFailed) to(Disconnected)
  36.619 Info UDPSocket.cpp:206: Closing socket
  36.620 Info UDPSocket.cpp:236: Socket closed 
So my questions are:
1) Is the inability to join the game:
- a bug of factorio's steam multiplayer support feature?
- a bug of the steam multiplayer support?
2) is this problem known and being worked on?
3) What else can I provide to help track this problem down?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.7] Joining games via steam not working

Post by Zavian »

Not sure whether you will be able to successful host without being able to forward a port. You should still be able to play multiplayer as a client. No idea whether anyone will be able to give better advice, but the first thing they will ask for is the full log of both the client and server.

Also see viewtopic.php?f=53&t=50200 . They offer free multiplayer server hosting for factorio. (I've played on some of their servers, and it worked quite well).

Return to “Technical Help”