[0.15.37?] Cannot launch game post update, 0kb .exe file

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Gaalgamesh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.15.37?] Cannot launch game post update, 0kb .exe file

Post by Gaalgamesh »

When I attempt to launch the game, a message appears saying that Factorio is not a valid Win32 application. This began the first time i launched the game after downloading an update. My previous update was somewhat recent, but before that it had been probably a year or more. My executable shows 0kb in size. ...\Factorio\bin\x64\factorio.exe

My current log file is too large to paste on pastebin without paying, and appears to be just the results of the "test" I ran while I was just clicking on things looking for a solution myself. My "previous" log seems to be more relevant. The last few lines specifically mention a write failure to factorio.exe. I'm afraid I was out of room in that drive. I had 17.3MB left out of ~300GB. I've cleared ~14GB now. How can I fix it?

I have never played multiplayer.

I have never had mods.

I feel negligent not providing a screen shot or save file, but it just seems unnecessary since the known, clear, "out of room on hard disk" issue seems to be so clearly the whole issue.

For the record I am not linked to Steam with this game (which I mention because this means I cannot click "verify game files" or initiate a re-download only for it to confirm the files all exist except one).

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.15.37?] Cannot launch game post update, 0kb .exe file

Post by Loewchen »

Best way is to simply download the latest stable version and reinstall the game. You can copy in your player-data file from your old installation, make sure it is not damaged as well.

Gaalgamesh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gaalgamesh »

Thanks for the prompt post approval and reply. I am downloading now, and I'll try to be a Cool Guy and post the final result.

Gaalgamesh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gaalgamesh »

Fixed!

Return to “Technical Help”