Getting Admin in a downloaded game?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TargeetDE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Getting Admin in a downloaded game?

Post by TargeetDE »

Hey there,

I played a lot Factorio with my friend,
and I always downloaded the map as a save if something goes wrong.
But one day, he got mad, and took away my admin rights,
and I tried to play on the singelplayer map then, but I can't build or craft there.
And If I try to use any commands, it says Im not a admin?! In SP?

So it it possible for me to get admin right in that singel player world?
I searched in the wiki already but I could'nt find anything useful.
Please help! :D

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Getting Admin in a downloaded game?

Post by darkfrei »

/help
Call list of admins, then open the game with nickname of admin.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

that's weird. i thought opening the save in single player would give you admin.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

It's not meant to.
Rseding91 wrote:Loading a game in single player vs multiplayer doesn't change the admin status of a given player - that's working as intended.
Source
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I read the source post. I also think it is weird that when running a saved game in single player, you don't get admin by default.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Zavian wrote:I read the source post. I also think it is weird that when running a saved game in single player, you don't get admin by default.
Not admin, just ignore all permissions, like a admin. The list of admins must be unchanged.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well I think you want to be able to run commands to promote yourself / fix permissions. eg for cases where someone else was admin, then disappeared/dropped out, and now the rest of you want to continue playing (hosting the game on another server), but you need at least one of you to have admin rights.

In such circumstances I think you should be able to get enough permissions to be able to run commands on the multiplayer server if you want to host the map on another server. (And consider you might want to use a free hosting service where you can't get easy access to the server console/config files).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You can enter commands directly on the server interface which is allowed to do anything - it has no concept of admin or permissions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Yeah. But if you are using a hosting provider you might not have access to the console. You could always host the game on a local system yourself, make the changes, then upload the save to the hosting provider. But from what I can tell you need to actually host it in headless mode to get access to the server console (tested on Windows 10 with the steam version 0.15.37. Note that even if I start the server with all players having access to lua commands, I can't use /promote to promote myself because I'm not an admin. Possibly if I knew the correct Lua command, I could use Lua rather than /promote to promote myself, but again that isn't something the average user could be expected to know. And a quick google search didn't find anything useful).

Trying to do this is going to be pretty unintuitive to the average windows user. Many of them don't even know the command prompt exists, and will struggle to start a headless factorio server instance from the commandline.

Edit: just realised some of my testing was with the .zip version, and some was with the Steam version, so fixed my comment above.
Last edited by Zavian on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Zavian wrote: Possibly if I knew the correct Lua command, I could use Lua rather than /promote to promote myself
Nope. Doesn't exist. From the API you can only read admin status, not change it.

If you're hosting on a console-not-available host i guess you need to contact them/find a better host. Also imho the "average user" wouldn't use console commands to demote other people in the first place. So, hosting a local instance should be fine. Maybe some kind of warning/hint message would work? Like when someone tries to /promote themselfs in SP print a warning like "You can not promote yourself. Use the server console instead."
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

TargeetDE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TargeetDE »

Zavian wrote:Yeah. But if you are using a hosting provider you might not have access to the console. You could always host the game on a local system yourself, make the changes, then upload the save to the hosting provider. But from what I can tell you need to actually host it in headless mode to get access to the server console (tested on Windows 10 with the steam version 0.15.37. Note that even if I start the server with all players having access to lua commands, I can't use /promote to promote myself because I'm not an admin. Possibly if I knew the correct Lua command, I could use Lua rather than /promote to promote myself, but again that isn't something the average user could be expected to know. And a quick google search didn't find anything useful).

Trying to do this is going to be pretty unintuitive to the average windows user. Many of them don't even know the command prompt exists, and will struggle to start a headless factorio server instance from the commandline.

Edit: just realised some of my testing was with the .zip version, and some was with the Steam version, so fixed my comment above.
Well I'll try that. Thanks :)

TargeetDE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TargeetDE »

Rseding91 wrote:You can enter commands directly on the server interface which is allowed to do anything - it has no concept of admin or permissions.
Well but then I need a server. But I have no idea how to set up a headless server, I mean I watched a youtube video but the server wasn't working then. :(

Return to “Technical Help”