Recommended System Requirements for mega bases?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
marcoevich
Inserter
Inserter

Recommended System Requirements for mega bases?

Post by marcoevich »

Hi All,

I love Factorio and play every day. I have a 300+ hour, 1 rkt/minute megabase, which takes 5.7 GW of Power and has 155 trains running.

I have the following hardware:

- CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.3 Ghz.
- GPU: GTX 970

The base runs about 17 FPS/UPS constantly, and sometimes slows down to about 16 FPS/UPS. It is not unplayable, yet walking and driving from one part of the base to another takes a long time, because the game speed has slowed down drastically.

I would like to continue expanding this base but I fear more FPS/UPS drops. Are there any recommended system requirements for Factorio Mega Bases? Any CPU which might give a good boost in performance?

I've tried turning off pollution, nuclear power and killing all enemies, this doesn't give any boost in performance.

Thanks!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Recommended System Requirements for mega bases?

Post by Jap2.0 »

I don't know what system you would need to get better preformance, but I have heard that memory (RAM) latency and single-core preformance are often the limiting factor. Unfortunately, I don't know much more than that.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

See the performance issue paragraph here: 4400, beyond that there are no further recommendations gameplay wise. For the CPU, higher clock speed and a bigger cache would have the biggest impact on performance I would assume.

marcoevich
Inserter
Inserter

Post by marcoevich »

Thx Guys, I will have a look at those.

Looking forward to belt optimized branch for 0.16. I hope that will give my base the performance boost it needs now :)

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

For the best performance with large bases, you want a 7700k at 5GHz and high frequency/low latency memory.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Zeblote wrote:For the best performance with large bases, you want a 7700k at 5GHz and high frequency/low latency memory.
There is a 8700k now that can go slightly higher on clocks but gaming benchmarks are showing it to be pretty much the same. Would be nice to check how it would behave with Factorio.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

To be honest a ups friendly factory design is probably more important than what processor you are running. I suggest having a look at Xterminators sending supporters to space base. It does about 4k science per minute (including 4 rockets per minute) at decent ups. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMcoYkR_qAQ

marcoevich
Inserter
Inserter

Post by marcoevich »

Zavian wrote:To be honest a ups friendly factory design is probably more important than what processor you are running. I suggest having a look at Xterminators sending supporters to space base. It does about 4k science per minute (including 4 rockets per minute) at decent ups. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMcoYkR_qAQ
Damn that is quite a base design.. Thanks for the video ;)
orzelek wrote:
Zeblote wrote:For the best performance with large bases, you want a 7700k at 5GHz and high frequency/low latency memory.
There is a 8700k now that can go slightly higher on clocks but gaming benchmarks are showing it to be pretty much the same. Would be nice to check how it would behave with Factorio.
I'll look into those CPU's. 7700K looks like good bang for buck right now. Thanks guys :)

Return to “Technical Help”