Factorio Multiplayer lag (Not my network or PC)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Factorio Multiplayer lag (Not my network or PC)

Post by Alien_Squasher »

So I was trying to join an uncapped multiplayer server in 15.37 with a couple of friends and I kept not being able to catch up or when I was able to finally join the game wouldn't even run. I tried joining public servers which had excellent support and the same thing happened again. I was using mods for the uncapped multiplayer server with my friends but not the public server, so I reset my roaming folder and reinstalled factorio after disabling everything. Same issue. So I reverted to 15.34 and tried joining servers with it and it worked just fine. We checked the network, it is running everything fine we pinged the uncapped server with my friends 47 ms ping speed, upload speed is fine. My PC is running factorio just fine, dual core four thread 2.60 ghz processors, using 15% disk when running a megabase and 14% CPU. Not my PC not the network.

I'm guessing something broke multiplayer in the 15.35, 15.36, or 15.37 patches, please look into this, the game runs huge servers fine on 15.34 but not 15.37. I tried using a fresh factorio version in .37 with no roaming folder for factorio and it still did not work. What is going on here?
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio Multiplayer lag (Not my network or PC)

Post by Zavian »

The normal cause for not being able to catch up is that the base is getting large, and your computer is slower than the server, and not able to run the simulation at the same speed as the server. The normal fix is to have somebody slow down the server with

Code: Select all

/c game.speed=0.8
(That might need to be typed twice and will disable achievements). Also be aware that some mods can use a lot of cpu time, and with some mods even a small base can trigger this.

If you are still having problems please provide all the information requested in this post.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Zavian wrote:The normal cause for not being able to catch up is that the base is getting large, and your computer is slower than the server, and not able to run the simulation at the same speed as the server. The normal fix is to have somebody slow down the server with

Code: Select all

/c game.speed=0.8
(That might need to be typed twice and will disable achievements). Also be aware that some mods can use a lot of cpu time, and with some mods even a small base can trigger this.

If you are still having problems please provide all the information requested in this post.

The thing is, I can load the map in singleplayer with no problems, and I can load bases that are bigger than that one in factorio 0.15.34 and have more stuff going on but if I try anything in 15.37 it is unplayably slow.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Alien_Squasher wrote:The thing is, I can load the map in singleplayer with no problems, and I can load bases that are bigger than that one in factorio 0.15.34 and have more stuff going on but if I try anything in 15.37 it is unplayably slow.
Then provide the information requested so we can take a look. If there are significant differences in performance between .34 and .37 then post the screenshots from both versions running the same map. You can download the .zip install on the website so you do not have to roll back.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Being able to load and run a map is not necessarily the same as being able to run the map at 60 updates per second. (And even if you can run it at 60 ups in singleplayer, your cpu needs to do extra work in multiplayer, and that extra work can be drop your ups below 60. And if the server is running at 60 ups, you will suddenly be unable to catch up). The requested screenshot will give us enough information to make a better diagnosis. If 0.15.34 is really running faster than 0.15.37, then yes screenshots and logs for both versions.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Zavian wrote:Being able to load and run a map is not necessarily the same as being able to run the map at 60 updates per second. (And even if you can run it at 60 ups in singleplayer, your cpu needs to do extra work in multiplayer, and that extra work can be drop your ups below 60. And if the server is running at 60 ups, you will suddenly be unable to catch up). The requested screenshot will give us enough information to make a better diagnosis. If 0.15.34 is really running faster than 0.15.37, then yes screenshots and logs for both versions.

Excuse me for being blunt, but I know my CPU. It's not the issue, it is a dualcore four thread 2.60 GHz max CPU, and I checked when joining a server with two megabases on 15.34 and it worked fine at 40 ups and I pulled 25 FPS. It's specifically something that happens in 15.37, I am going to see where it breaks, if it is 15.35, or 15.36 or just 15.37. The fact of the matter is, my CPU only uses a good 20% of it's resources even though factorio is monothread and so only uses one of my four threads. I also reduced disk usage to 15%, and then I checked my download/upload/ping speed with servers and it was like 27 ms, 22.5 mbs download and 1.5 mbs upload. No issues with my PC or the network like I said in the title. Me and the owner of the server I want to play on worked on this from like three in the afternoon until eleven at night, we ruled out my computer's hardware or network. I am going to take a video of what happens in 15.34 versus 15.37 and post a link to it, I will also show my hardware stats and how they are taking it.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Did you try having the same server hardware hosting the same map for both 0.15.34 and 0.15.37? If not, then you can hardly make a case for 0.15.37 running worse than 0.15.34.

In fact, you mention that you got 40 UPS in 0.15.34 and your quad-core was at 20%. If we scale that up (to 25% since Factorio is single-threaded) you would get 50 UPS. If the same map is hosted on 0.15.37 but on different server hardware (that is capable of running it at 60 UPS) then you'll be unable to catch up, have severe lags or get dropped, exactly as you described.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I have a 4 core 8 thread cpu i7@2.8 Ghz . Yet on many multiplayer servers I get to the point where I'm unable to keep up @ 60ups, and either I drop out or we slow the game down. This sometimes in as little as 2 hours from starting a new base.

Return to “Technical Help”