Headless/Dedicated Server Help

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
GusTheAnt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Headless/Dedicated Server Help

Post by GusTheAnt »

I'm trying to set up a headless/dedicated server and I've been fighting through errors, and this is the one that I can't solve. It says "Key 'description' not found at property ROOT", I've checked time and time again that the description in the server settings.json is correct. Could it be that I have it in the wrong place? I have everything pointed in the correct folder and everything named correctly in my .bat.

I have the game installed on my B drive.

.bat file

Code: Select all

@echo off
::==============================================================================================================
::==============================================================================================================

set FactorioExeLocation=B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64\

set SaveFileName=TheSweatshop.zip
set SaveLocation=B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\server\

set ServerSettingsFileName=serversettings.json
set ServerSettingsLocation=B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\

set ServerConfigFileName=configserver.ini
set ServerConfigLocation=B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\server\

set MapConfigFileName=mapgen.json
set MapConfigLocation=B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\

cd %FactorioExeLocation%

echo.
echo.
echo PREPARING TO LAUNCH FACTORIO SERVER...
echo.
echo    Save to be loaded:
echo        %SaveLocation%%SaveFileName% 
echo.
echo    Server Settings to load: 
echo        %ServerSettingsLocation%%ServerSettingsFileName%
echo.
echo.
echo *** Remember to use Ctrl+C to close the server and save instead of simply closing this window           ***
echo *** If asked to terminate the batch job, type y (yes)                                                   ***
echo.
pause 3

:: ***NOTE: The line below launches factorio in headless mode with desired server settings, add any other
::          desired arguments to end of the line. Use "factorio.exe --help" for a list of all supported arguments.
factorio.exe --start-server "%SaveLocation%%SaveFileName%" --server-settings "%ServerSettingsLocation%%ServerSettingsFileName%" -c "%ServerConfigLocation%%ServerConfigFileName%"

pause 3
When I launch the .bat this is what it says.

Code: Select all

PREPARING TO LAUNCH FACTORIO SERVER...

Save to be loaded:
       B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\server\TheSweatshop.zip

Server Settings to load:
       B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\serversettings.json

*** Remember to use Ctrl+C to close the server and save instead of simply closing this window           ***
*** If asked to terminate the batch job, type y (yes)                                                   ***

Press any key to continue . . .
   0.054 2017-10-04 22:12:53; Factorio 0.15.34 (build 30875, win64, steam)
   0.055 Operating system: Windows 10 (version 1607)
   0.056 Program arguments: "factorio.exe" "--start-server" "B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\server\TheSweatshop.zip" "--server-settings" "B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\serversettings.json" "-c" "B:\Program Files x64\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\server\configserver.ini"
   0.057 Read data path: B:/Program Files x64/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/data
   0.057 Write data path: B:/Program Files x64/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/server
   0.057 Binaries path: B:/Program Files x64/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/bin
   0.221 System info: [CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 4 cores, RAM: 8129MB]
   0.239 Running in headless mode
   0.352 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
   0.438 Loading mod base 0.15.34 (data.lua)
   1.678 Loading mod base 0.15.34 (data-updates.lua)
   1.796 Checksum for core: 1519575497
   1.796 Checksum of base: 1503927233
   2.208 Info PlayerData.cpp:58: Local player-data.json available, timestamp 1507090889
   2.208 Info PlayerData.cpp:65: Cloud player-data.json unavailable
   2.359 Custom inputs active: 0
   2.457 Factorio initialised
   2.518 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:140: Quitting multiplayer connection.
   2.519 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:671: mapTick(-1) changing state from(Ready) to(Closed)
   2.562 Goodbye
   0.000  Error Util.cpp:62: Key "description" not found in property tree at ROOT, please check data/server-settings.example.json for correct format.
Press any key to continue . . .
If I need to post this to a different board please let me know.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Headless/Dedicated Server Help

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to technical help
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Headless/Dedicated Server Help

Post by Loewchen »

Post your serversettings.json file, make sure to mask passwords.

Return to “Technical Help”