Cannot start

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zerogeewhiz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cannot start

Post by zerogeewhiz »

Hello. On my 27 inch display, I cannot start the 0.10.6 version of the alpha. I am using a laptop connected to the screen and when I start it up, it flashes white, as if the game is failing to start up. After about 5-10 seconds it stops and comes up with the error: "Failed to create display!". If someone could tell me what I am doing wrong that would be great. Thanks.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Cannot start

Post by Mangledpork »

What resolution is this 27 inch display? And is it set to be a copy or an extension of the laptop screen?
If you had Factorio set to fullscreen mode it might lead it to being confused by multiple screens. Alternately it could be that the resolution is too low or something on this new display.

zerogeewhiz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerogeewhiz »

The resolution is 2560x1440. It is a copy. I haven't launched it before so it can't be in full screen mode. I only have the one display.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

Have you tried running the game without this screen connected?

zerogeewhiz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerogeewhiz »

Yes I have. It works fine and if its just a case of the alpha restricting the game starting on a display, then I'm fine with that. I can play it just with my laptop unless there is a fix you know of. The reason I asked is because I like playing games on a bigger screen. But if there is no fix, so be it. Thank you very much for your help ;-).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

2560x1440 is a bit above the standard, it could be something in the code that doesn't like it, or just the fact that it's on a secondary screen.

when you say you only have the one display, does this mean you disable the screen on the laptop when you use the monitor?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

zerogeewhiz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerogeewhiz »

Yes. The laptop screen disables when i connect it.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

Try messing about with the settings of this extra screen. I have an extra monitor acting as an extended display rather than a replacement, and if I want to play Factorio on the other screen I can just drag it over. You do encounter problems with full screen games when using an extended display, though I don't know if that's the case for Factorio (I just play windowed now, it's less hassle).
And having two screens is awesome!

strimmer91
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by strimmer91 »

I am having the same problems but using a single monitor. I tried reducing my resolution as stated but to no avail. It was working last night but not now

zerogeewhiz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerogeewhiz »

Yep, i fixed it at one point, and then it decided to not work anymore.......

Return to “Technical Help”