help to increase FPS/UPS in my factory

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

help to increase FPS/UPS in my factory

Post by DainPiediferro »

i have this factory (i use only bucket wheel excavator as mod)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mip95on2me8ce ... o.zip?dl=0

can someone help me to increase FPS/UPS? now i'm about at 35-40 UPS. i tryed to swich off most of my factory but increased only to 55-60UPS
i dunnow how to make more efficient my factory and use less CPU-GPU. can someone have a clue for this? or in general any good ideas for my factory?

i know, i have to increase iron in the second factory because it is low.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: help to increase FPS/UPS in my factory

Post by featherwinglove »

The least CPU-intensive methods to move inventory around are, in order of CPU/item are

1. Character inventory transfers. Not viable late- or even mid-game, but it does help to remember that you can do just about anything you want with the character inventory using Ctrl-click (GUI moves everything if you click on a character blank slot, non-GUI it moves everything to the character if you left click on a chest or other inventory entity or half of it with a right click. Having an item on the cursor moves the indicated stack with a left click and half with a right click.)

2. Trains. Unfortunately this is a rather inserter and fuel-intensive option, and it requires a lot of rather strange creativity to be able to insert directly into every machine either from a train or another machine.

2.1: Cars on Belts. Conveyors can still move cars, making them a poor man's boxing mod. Theoretically, it would be nearly as good at moving items around as a train CPU-wise, but I've only ever seen it implemented as a gimmick. It also requires circuit controlled gates to stop the cars for the inserters to interact with them.

3. Logistics robots. The game doesn't think very hard about how these move since they have no collision. Upgrade the crap out of them to keep the concurrent number of them relatively low, and to save power in your factory as the basic ones chew up a lot of time and energy charging their batteries.

4. Underground belts/pipes. One pair of underground pipe/belt ends forms a single entity, while one surface pipe/belt tile is an entity. Using underground belts and pipes religiously is something AntiElite does on his 100% speed runs. (He also has a mod called "UPS-up" that you might be interested in.) This tactic with belts vastly reduces the number of rendered items, but those are so highly optimized that it is no longer much of a factor. Since the fluid dynamics are a bit more intense on the CPU than these items, it may be that putting barrels on a belt is less CPU intensive than running a pipe, but I doubt this would be noticeable.

DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DainPiediferro »

these suggests are general or for my factory?

i think they are more general than for me. but i try to.....

any other?

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

General. I haven't even loaded your build as I tend to play quite unconventionally and probably can't offer anything particularly specific. One more: try to control your pollution by going to solar/accumulator and using efficiency modules, and clear out biter nests so pollution doesn't reach them. This reduces the computer's thinking regarding the pollution spreading and biters, and may also reduce the number of active chunks outside your base.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

You can try this mod for
DestroyEmptyChunks

DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DainPiediferro »

so either pollution affects CPU.......

i use 6.5GW with nuclear power. so......imagin the pollution made of.......

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Probably the biggest UPS gain would be replacing belts with bots and trains (using small logistic zones to keep flight distances down), using even more productivity and speed wouldn't hurt too (i.e. smelting with prod3+speed beacons), getting rid of most the buffers also wouldn't hurt. Basically a base with fewer moving parts and higher "productivity density" = higher UPS.

There is also the UPS-up mod which will increase UPS by disabling a bunch of game features which aren't that important for a megabase.

DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DainPiediferro »

but replacing belts with undredround belts can increase it?

i have 7k electric furnaces, so imagin how many belts i have......

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Belts are heavily optimized in 0.16 as well - they won't necessarily be as efficient as bots and trains, but much more so.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I think one way to understand the effeciency of bots and trains and also underneathies is as follows.

One belt moves about 8 items at a time - slowly - they are transfered from the previous and to the next belt this transfer happens pretty often - each time something is done to an item that costs CPU. Each item is "in the world" as a semi-independent thing.

One bot moves a stack of 4 items (1 thing) at a much higher speed than belts there are no transfers except at the source and destination, the items are not in the world when they're in the bot inventory and there are no inserters involved in the transfers, at no point does the item exist as an independent thing in the world. The bots do have a measure of overhead due to job allocation, need to charge etc but certainly their transport job is super-simple in terms of CPU.

A train moves thousands of items at once at a speed much higher than belts, the items are not in the world while they are in the train inventories. They do need to be loaded/unloaded with inserters though. Probably the major overhead of trains is pathfinding.

Underground belts can be understood to help by reducing the number of item transfers that need to take place - instead of the item being transfer from belt to belt every tile, instead it only happens only twice over the underground belt span, also it might help that the items are underground though some kind of position tracking must be used so they come back out at the right time.

But bots and trains have clear advantages over belts in that they do a much better job of reducing items to "mathematical abstractions" where you can speak of 200 circuits on a train as one thing and even that one thing doesn't interact in any way until the train is at a station.

DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DainPiediferro »

replacing belts with underground belts in 6k of 7k electric furnaces, i earned almost 3UPS. now i'm much more time near 40 UPS than previous.

but i think i have too much things on the map.

DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DainPiediferro »

i'm replacing all belts with robot and the UPS are increasing.

only.......the setup i used increased a lot energy consumption......

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

darkfrei wrote:You can try this mod for
DestroyEmptyChunks
That would do literally nothing. An empty chunk takes zero CPU time because it's.. empty :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

DainPiediferro wrote:so either pollution affects CPU.......

That works too, I suppose. Um... I'm nervous that loading your base might crash my system, lol!

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Rseding91 wrote:
darkfrei wrote:You can try this mod for
DestroyEmptyChunks
That would do literally nothing. An empty chunk takes zero CPU time because it's.. empty :P
I think the only thing it would accomplish is reducing save/load time - which is worth something as time spent autosaving is effectively a hit to average UPS. And I suppose it would also have to reduce memory usage which might help computers which are having to swap.

rgx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rgx »

The one thing that reduced load/increased UPS for me the most is to disable biters, expansion, evolution and pollution. Note that disabling biters can only be done at the start of a new map, after that they can only be removed - using commands or mods - but they will continue spawning around the edges of the map. The effect might be compounded by the fact that I like to build large, creating long rail networks and mine for ore 20k tiles away. I have not seen train pathing taking much load yet, but I do need to be careful not using too much belts and use bots instead. Only use solar power. Also try to clean up areas with old factories or miners regularily, to keep number of entities down.

As a new player you probably want to have biters enabled but sooner or later you get to a point where they are just hogging UPS and playtime. Turning them off was such a relief.

DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DainPiediferro »

featherwinglove wrote:

That works too, I suppose. Um... I'm nervous that loading your base might crash my system, lol!
now i'm 7.7GW. (link is the same for the new version of the map) i can decrease all deleting unused beacons, i can save 500MW i think
copper cables are at 142k/min and iron plate at 110k/min, but by the electric furnaces off, i think i can double it, surely put 50% more

from 7.1k electric furnaces now i'm at 2.8k, and i can decrease a lot more (but hardly less than 2k)

BUT 1 QUESTION
an electric furnaces off, an assemblu machine off, uses CPU time? if yes, i will delete a lot of them. many are unused, used only for peack production for expansion, or only over-sized factory

DainPiediferro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DainPiediferro »

rgx wrote:The one thing that reduced load/increased UPS for me the most is to disable biters, expansion, evolution and pollution. Note that disabling biters can only be done at the start of a new map, after that they can only be removed - using commands or mods - but they will continue spawning around the edges of the map. The effect might be compounded by the fact that I like to build large, creating long rail networks and mine for ore 20k tiles away. I have not seen train pathing taking much load yet, but I do need to be careful not using too much belts and use bots instead. Only use solar power. Also try to clean up areas with old factories or miners regularily, to keep number of entities down.

As a new player you probably want to have biters enabled but sooner or later you get to a point where they are just hogging UPS and playtime. Turning them off was such a relief.
"new player"

956h over stesm, not plus craked version.
my save is 51Mb of size.

uhm..........either furnaces not working affects UPS?
damn........and beacons?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

DainPiediferro wrote:
featherwinglove wrote:

now i'm 7.7GW. (link is the same for the new version of the map) i can decrease all deleting unused beacons, i can save 500MW i think
copper cables are at 142k/min and iron plate at 110k/min, but by the electric furnaces off, i think i can double it, surely put 50% more

from 7.1k electric furnaces now i'm at 2.8k, and i can decrease a lot more (but hardly less than 2k)

BUT 1 QUESTION
an electric furnaces off, an assemblu machine off, uses CPU time? if yes, i will delete a lot of them. many are unused, used only for peack production for expansion, or only over-sized factory
Unused assemblers, furnaces, etc. use practically no CPU time.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Technical Help”