Steam version retention/reverse steam key

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
emp138
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Steam version retention/reverse steam key

Post by emp138 »

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I just bought the game 5 days ago and don't know all the intricacies of the forums yet.

So, I bought the game on steam before I realized I could buy directly from Factorio's site, and am running v.14.23. I just finished my first play through and rocket launch but realized that v.15.xx is a significant change and want to switch to that version before getting even deeper into the game :roll: . However, I like to keep playable versions of old versions on my computer, especially with my first factory/first win map. (Not sure if anyone here also plays KSP, but I keep the game files in separate folders. including some old versions like .18, .21, etc.

Is there anyway to save this game locally from steam before I opt into the beta v.15.xx so I maintain this version? After I opt into the beta, can I un-opt-in so to speak and play .14.23 again? OR most preferably is there a way to get the classic version from Factorio with proof of purchase from steam? (Think the offer for steam key, but backwards.)

Appreciate all the answers, and forgiving my naivety about all things factorio!!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Steam version retention/reverse steam key

Post by DaveMcW »

You can't copy steam files.

But you can link you steam account here to get access to the factorio download archive. I recommend the zip versions, because they don't try to overwrite each other.

emp138
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Steam version retention/reverse steam key

Post by emp138 »

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! Possibly one of the fastest, simplest response I have ever had on a forum.

Return to “Technical Help”