"Server is not responding" continual lag

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TwilightWolfi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

"Server is not responding" continual lag

Post by TwilightWolfi »

I have a terrible problem on the newest experimental (and also on 0.14 stable awa up to now) where I connect to my friend's server, and get continual "server is not responding" messages, lagging out my game to hell and making playing almost impossible. This happens very often on the server, only for me, and sometimes disappears for a short while, coming back in full force later. It's often every few seconds, and sometimes kicks me out of the game entirely, especially ever single time the server autosaves. Is there any known fix for this, and is this a bug or just my internet/my friend's internet?

Portman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: "Server is not responding" continual lag

Post by Portman »

TwilightWolfi my friend and I are also experiencing this. Going to add our information to your thread instead of making a separate one.

We were able to play 14 experimental without issues a year ago hosting on either of our computers. We started playing 15.27 a few days ago and my friend reported symptoms of latency and then the error "server is not responding". We moved to a hosted solution thinking that it was our connection but my friend still has the same issue after a while when connected to the server. Sometimes it is instant when he connects and sometimes it occurs up to an hour after connecting. I never experience any of the errors he is getting and have just seen a few "flickers" or latency (jitters while walking and one bout of it when he reported it but it faded after a moment which he kept experiencing it).

We've checked our networking equipment and path to the server and everything appears good there. We tried hosting the game locally on our PCs again and we experience the issue. We went back to .14 and tested for a bit and didn't encounter the issue although we may not have tested long enough to rule it out completely.

Log files are attached for each device from the most recent time the issue occurred. The server was restarted prior to this to lower the latency setting to 40 to improve vehicle input. Issue occurred at this setting and the previous setting of 100.

The previous log had a lot of incidents of an error in it that said the following (removed friend's IP address:
Info UnparsedNetworkMessage.cpp:87: Invalid packet (type RequestForHeartbeatWhenDisconnecting) received from x.x.x.x:60552: unknown sender

Not sure if that was related but it didn't appear in the attached log but he still experience the "server is not responding" issue after a short amount of time but I was able to play without the error.

I can attached previous log if needed. Also let me know if any other information is needed or perhaps I got the wrong logs.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Server most recent log
(11.09 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
factorio-current.log
Friend's most recent log
(13.09 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
factorio-current.log
My most recent log
(10.95 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

TwilightWolfi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TwilightWolfi »

Logs for all the "server not responding" lag. Loads in invalid packets due to latency, and I have no idea how to fix it.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
One of the many recent Factorio logs from my end
(210.96 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

TwilightWolfi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TwilightWolfi »

Bumpppp

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

Could you please supply us with the server hosts internet download and upload speed - assuming this is a "Host from home" type job?

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

could be any number of things. is the host or clients internet connection saturated?
packet loss to ISP? if the host or client is using WiFi not much you can do.
seriously GET WIRED!
how far are you from who you are playing with? playing with people from other countries sounds fun, but it hurts game play.
try to play/make friends with people on the same continent/time zone.

Portman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Portman »

On the situation that I was in we checked the connections and they weren't saturated. When we tried to host the game from our own computers we encountered the issue with either of us being the host. Mine is 200Mbps down and 20Mbps up and friend's is 22Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Previously (about a year ago) we were able to play without issue when hosting on our computers so it doesn't seem to be our connection or hardware but there could be bad routes the traffic is running into too. And that in turn could be the issue with the hosted solution we went with.

In order to alleviate the potential cause being our connections we got a server for the game setup and attempted to play it there but my friend still gets the error randomly after playing (sometimes instantly, sometimes takes a bit). I have just noticed tiny bits of latency in game and when it showed up on friend's with the message at one point it did make the game skip around on mine but otherwise it seems to be fine. Geographically we're in the same small city but on different ISPs. Our pings and routes to the server seem clean minus the occasional dropped packet on friend's tests. I was going to get the server moved to another data center if that would help out with testing or providing more information. Another idea was to leave a constant ping up to the server while we try to play to see if either of us notice packets getting dropped since we're not sure how to tell server connection quality/status from in game (if it is even possible).

Edit: We did some more testing and it appears to be a hope that my friend is encountering on their ISP's network. They are going to investigate that with the ISP in the morning and if that doesn't go anywhere then I'll see about getting the server moved. Doesn't seem to be a Factorio issue at the moment but I'll keep the details coming in case it is or they assist anyone.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

if your friend knows their default gateway IP address. (router might tell you)
they could try pinging it 300 or so times with a 1000 byte payload to test for packet loss.
should get little (< 4%) to no packet loss to the ISP's gateway.

also make sure they only have 1 active network access connection.
having 2 can cause weird things with port numbers and packets with Factorio.

Portman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Portman »

Apologies for the late reply. As far as we can tell the issues that my friend and I were encountering have been resolved.

The hosted server that we were using was giving my friend a bit of dropped packets which we believe was causing the issues on that server. My friend also had their ISP check their equipment which had some faults. After that they were able to connect directly to my PC and we have been able to play successfully minus a few random spots of latency.

TwilightWolfi the only thing I can think of would be to check the network path between your server and the clients. We had to do some digging on ours and at first were thinking it was the game but it ended up being connection issues.

Return to “Technical Help”