Cannot keep up with game

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Andreas133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cannot keep up with game

Post by Andreas133 »

Hi,

I have a problem that games usually starts lagging once the base reaches a certain size or enough area has been discovered. Rejoining usually fixes the problem for a short while.
The game runs fine for other people with lower computer stats than me, so I'm a bit confused and hoping you guys can maybe help me figuring out what the problem is.
My computer:
CPU - "AMD Phenom II X4 970"
8 GB RAM (around 50% usage while playing)
Graphics card - "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"

Does anyone know why my game is lagging and what I need to upgrade?

Let me know if you need additional information

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cannot keep up with game

Post by Koub »

Can you post a save and a logfile at least ?
what would be helpful too would be a screenshot with the debug infos on (Default [F4] debug options)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Andreas133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Andreas133 »

Here are the logs, screenshot (let me know if you need other info in the screenshot) and the save.
Attachments
factorio multiplayer.zip
(32.79 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
game lagg.png
game lagg.png (3.51 MiB) Viewed 2685 times
factorio-previous.log
(472.59 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Andreas133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Andreas133 »

So by updating my video drivers I got less lagg but it still laggs now and then, more often than not. So apparantly that's not enough.

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

I see your tick buffer is huge (600+)
14ms is taken per tick just on Entity update, have you tried to undecorate your map and remove all unwanted entities (such a Fish?), also disable enemy base expansion as well, this helps.

As for your buffer, you will find that you probs cant even move with a buffer that big - try turning down the game speed until your buffer starts to decrease, for example:

Code: Select all

/c game.speed=0.5
If you need any help on removing decorations and fish (etc) let me know.

Andreas133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Andreas133 »

AlienX wrote:I see your tick buffer is huge (600+)
14ms is taken per tick just on Entity update, have you tried to undecorate your map and remove all unwanted entities (such a Fish?), also disable enemy base expansion as well, this helps.

As for your buffer, you will find that you probs cant even move with a buffer that big - try turning down the game speed until your buffer starts to decrease, for example:

Code: Select all

/c game.speed=0.5
If you need any help on removing decorations and fish (etc) let me know.
This isn't my server, hence I cannot change these things. These are other servers that I'm joining other people on to play together with them. Hence modifying anything on the server is not an option. Which is why I'm then looking into what hardware I need to upgrade on my end to keep up with the server and the other players.

Andreas133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Andreas133 »

Bump..

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

Updating your hardware to an Intel CPU (better single thread performance than AMD) is your only option.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

Its also possible that your internet connection itself is the limiting factor, especially if others with worse hardware have better performance on the same map.

I'm not sure what speed exatly is required to run bigger maps in a usefull way, but for example my connection with 50/10 Mbit (Down/Upstream) hardly ever causes such problems - many people have crappy 2 Mbit or the worst for gaming: Internet via mobile networks. The advertising of "Up to 300 Mbit" they claim there is just a pile of bullshit - in reality, you can be happy if you have a steady 1 Mbit with joke-like ping over mobile.

Return to “Technical Help”