Headless Server - How to enable automatic updates

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
owlowlowl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Headless Server - How to enable automatic updates

Post by owlowlowl »

Hi All,

I have done some searching on google, reddit and this forum and have not been able to find a solution to my problem.

I installed a server recently and have been playing on version 0.15.16 with no issues.

My client automatically updated to 0.15.18 so I am looking to update the server without having to reinstall it from scratch.

I edited

Code: Select all

/config/config.ini
to set

'enable-experimental-updates' 
to true, but when I launch the server i get the messages

0.268 Info Updater.cpp:751: Downloading https://updater.factorio.com/get-available-versions?username=XXXXXXXXXXXX&token=<private>&apiVersion=2
   0.788 Some core updates would be reachable if experimental updates were enabled.
   0.789 0 packages available to download (experimental updates disabled).
So, I quit the server and check on

/config/config.ini
the enable experimental updates field has reverted back to false.

I then copied config.ini to a different directory and launched the server adding it's path using

-c [ --config ] PATH
to the new path. The same thing happens and the new config.ini is overwritten and set to false.

I'm using

sudo runuser -l factorio -c "/opt/factorio/bin/x64/factorio --server-settings /opt/factorio/data/server-settings.json --start-server-load-latest --port 34197"
to launch the server.

As this wasn't working, I then tried to update manually by adding

--apply-update /home/factorio/factorio_headless_x64_0.15.18.tar.xz
to my launch parameters. I receive the following error:

2.144 Info Updater.cpp:382: Applying update /home/factorio/factorio_headless_x64_0.15.18.tar.xz
   2.144 Error Util.cpp:62: Error opening update package: Opening zip /home/factorio/factorio_headless_x64_0.15.18.tar.xz failed: Bad zip file
   2.152 Goodbye
The first strange thing is that the file is not a zip file. I guess this is because I'm trying to update using the full installer package downloaded from the factorio site. I then went to

https://updater.factorio.com/get-available-versions?username=MYUSERNAME&token=MYTOKEN&apiVersion=2
to look for the update manually. there doesn't seem to be a 'from V0.15.16' 'to V0.15.18'.

So, if anyone can explain how i can a) enable automatic updates of experimental releases or b) provide a link to where i can get the update files from manually then I'm sure my problems will be fixed. I'm not running any mods. Thanks in advance...

owlowlowl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Headless Server - How to enable automatic updates

Post by owlowlowl »

Update, my first mistake was not removing the semicolon from the config file (doh!) so at least now we are getting the following:

0.989 2 packages available to download (experimental updates enabled).
   0.992 Factorio initialised
Sadly the server still isn't updating itself - does anyone know what arguments i need after

--apply-update
to apply the update? The documentation is not clear.

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

It looks like --apply-update needs a path to a zip file containing the new server binary and data files.

Opiboble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Opiboble »

Did you have any luck getting this going?

inick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by inick »

The updating process cannot skip versions, is probably packaged for full installs (not headless [unverified]), and seems to be impossible to google a URI for it.

If you're coming from (in any example, let's take yours) 0.15.16 to 0.15.18; the client would normally fetch 0.15.17, fetch 0.15.18 and apply both on client restart.
The file you're downloading (full install tarball) is not the same contents as the upgrade zip. I tore the upgrade zip apart once to just understand they're different, but not why.

You'll likely need to restart the server side anyway if the update thing does work. I haven't seen Factorio updates work without restarting the client yet.
HTH, Good luck.
--iNick

Return to “Technical Help”