[0.15.10] FPS drops in single player

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
srhuston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.10] FPS drops in single player

Post by srhuston »

Just upgraded to 0.15.10 this evening, and loaded my factory, started moving around and things were fine, but when I moved to the left everything got slow and chuggy. Turned on the FPS/UPS report and while UPS stayed around 60, every time I move to the left the FPS drops steadily down to 10 or so and sits there. If I start moving some other direction, it climbs back up to 60 again.

I did not experiment with other graphics settings, because they worked fine in 0.15.9, and I would imagine I shouldn't need to change them only to move in a specific direction - sure, if all directions were the same, I might buy it :D

Sprite resolution is high, memory usage is all, using fullscreen. Macbook Pro 15" (2016), Core i7 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

(EDIT: Whoops, wrong graphics - when I load the game it turns on the AMD Radeon Pro 450 2048MB)

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.10] FPS drops to 10 when walking left

Post by TruePikachu »

Do left-diagonals have the same issue?

srhuston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srhuston »

I'll have to see if I have some time during lunch to upgrade again and give it a try. I also want to try various levels of zoom, as I saw someone on Reddit mention that was an issue for them.

srhuston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by srhuston »

Ok, so this time when I loaded it up, it happened in all directions. But, if I got to some place where there were no factory sprites on the ground then it seemed better - for example, where I loaded my game I was standing next to a belt with one blue science going by every few seconds, and if I move out of viewing range of that then things get faster.

Changing the sprite resolution to normal also makes everything work more smoothly. But downgrading to 0.15.9 is smooth when using high resolution sprites, so it still seems to be something introduced in 0.15.10 that causes the problem.

Happy to provide whatever I can to help debug, just let me know what you need.

50kalkiller
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Posila] [0.15.10] FPS drops to 10 when walking left

Post by 50kalkiller »

I actually have the same issue although a significantly older MBP (2010 13" C2D 2.6Ghz w/GT210), but only have had an issue with 0.15.10; I was able to maintain at least 24+fps with the sprite turned to low and memory to high. It should be mentioned that I run the steam version of the game and not the standalone.

manuakasam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by manuakasam »

Just replying here to note that I have a very, very similar issue viewtopic.php?f=49&t=47352
And I kind of don't think it's my PC

50kalkiller
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 50kalkiller »

I would agree with this as I went onto a vanilla MP server that two of us play on and the fps would drop down to 10-14 fps but after saving the current server state and then loading the save locally on my 2010 13" MBP I had well over 50 fps for the same graphics and zoom settings.

This is very much a MP issue on OS X, and unique to 0.15.10; attached is the save as I do not have this issue on my PC (win10 8GB DDR3, GTX660 3GB).
Attachments
server20170513.zip
(8.85 MiB) Downloaded 122 times

dispensershell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dispensershell »

Just posting in this thread advising I have similar issues. major fps drop on 0.15.10.

I have and had my graphics set to normal.

Specs:
i3570K
GTX 570 1.2GB VRAM
16GB DDR3 1666

dispensershell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dispensershell »

Has anyone heard anything further about this? Should I think about creating a log and uploading it?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

srhuston wrote:Ok, so this time when I loaded it up, it happened in all directions. But, if I got to some place where there were no factory sprites on the ground then it seemed better - for example, where I loaded my game I was standing next to a belt with one blue science going by every few seconds, and if I move out of viewing range of that then things get faster.

Changing the sprite resolution to normal also makes everything work more smoothly. But downgrading to 0.15.9 is smooth when using high resolution sprites, so it still seems to be something introduced in 0.15.10 that causes the problem.

Happy to provide whatever I can to help debug, just let me know what you need.
Hi, I am sorry for taking so long to get back to you. In 0.15.10 this change was made
- Terrain, shadow and smoke sprites are sorted into separate sprite atlases in attempt to optimize GPU memory access during rendering.
Intent was to group sprites into atlases better, so we don't have to switch between atlases so often during rendering. This aparently had opposite effect on some systems.
In graphics options, you can disable it by unchecking "Create specialized sprite atlases", alternatively you can try to see what happens if you drop Video memory usage to high or medium; or if you lower Atlas texture size to 8k or 4k.

Return to “Technical Help”