cant join or make servers

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
earth9732
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

cant join or make servers

Post by earth9732 »

me and a couple of my friends how been wanting to play some factorio together however i seem to be unable to connect to other people servers unless they are dedicated server which we really don't want to play on since we want it to be our own factorio since were rubbish at the game. me and my friends tried almost everything imaginable, such as the firewall, antivirus the broadband etc. when i host a game i got the message saying "falied to determine external ip address. other people might not be able to connect." and when i try to join a game it says "could not establish network connection to server." if anybody knows anything to fix this can you please tell me how

Caennanu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: cant join or make servers

Post by Caennanu »

Hola!

It seems that you are definately experiencing some issues in regards to firewalls.
You are saying you cannot connect and others are unable to connect to you.

How about, others connecting to others? Do your friends experience problems when attempting to play without you?
If this is the case, i am very sure it is on your side of the connection.

For this, please check your router's settings.
First off, make your gaming rig have a static ip address.
Then either assign the factorio ports via portforwarding or use DMZ (i cannot recommend the latter, other than for testing purposes).

If this doesn't resolve the issues, make sure you have a direct connection to the said router, do not use other routers or switches in between to eliminate as much bottlenecks as possible.
After this, check your firewal.cpl file. Close both steam (if you use this at all) and factorio. Remove all rules in both incomming as outgoing ruleset that have factorio.exe associated.
After this, reboot and start up the game. It should fill in new firewall rules, make sure that you ALLOW them.

Let me know if any of this worked.

Return to “Technical Help”