High Memory Usage?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

High Memory Usage?

Post by Mr. Tact »

Howdy. I am currently running version 14.14 and I'm having issues with very high memory usage of a map which I figured qualifies as large, but not huge. The zip save file for my game is 180 M. When I have this map loaded, Factorio's memory usage goes up to about 6.5 G (of my total of 8). Not surprisingly that causes problems when loading or saving the game. I realize 8 G of RAM is on the low end of the scale these days. My PC is about 4.5 years old and I'll either be upgrading my memory or possibly buying a new PC.

My question is this: Is that amount of memory usage for a map save file of that size "normal"?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: High Memory Usage?

Post by posila »

Hi, it is related to decorative entities on ground, we will fix this issue for 0.15 (no ETA on release, yet).
Sadly, my recommendation for now is to use unDecorator mod, which will remove all decorative entities (you map make take 10 minutes to load first time with the mod).

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Alright, cool. Well, I am glad to know it is a known problem versus "that's the way the game works". And that there is a interim solution.

Obviously I've played this map for a long time 200 hours + and it was only recently it started being a problem. Apparently I crossed some kind memory usage threshold which is making the PC very unhappy.

Is it a one time operation per map for the mod? Load the game with the mod and all the entities are then gone? I can then toggle off and/or remove the mod?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

When you enable the mod, it will remove all decoratives on currently explored map. If you then disable the mod, old decoratives stay deleted, but new decoratives will be generated as you uncover new areas on the map, but that shouldn't be problem for at least another 200 hours :)

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Cool, thanks again.

Just finished and my save file size decreased from 180m to 115m and the memory usage dropped to 4.5G. Which is still pretty high -- however, the game ran fine and saves completed in 7-8 seconds vs. 20 minutes plus it would take before. It does however make the terrain pretty boring. I have to say I never really paid much attention to the decorative doodads, but their total absence is very noticeable. I look forward to the fix in .15 on my next large map.

In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered 4 x 8GB of memory for my machine. :mrgreen:

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

By the way, I was totally underestimating the number of hours I've spent in that game... it is more like 530+ :shock:

And while there is some AFK time in that total, there isn't a lot of it.

Return to “Technical Help”