Stupid question (Linux installation)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Stupid question (Linux installation)

Post by JohnyDL »

A few days ago I DL'd the demo, then I brought the alpha, and I played each on linux, but somewhere along the line the binaries became a EXEs, obviously .exe files are windows executables not a linux compatable launchers, so what am I missing, I've DL'd all the 0.9.8 linux tars and looked in each but I can only find .exe's.

Where are the binaries?
What have I done wrong during install?
And Can someone make a guide for installing? on the grounds that there should be one easy to find somewhere (probably linked to the DL page)

daryltucker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Stupid question (Linux installation)

Post by daryltucker »

When I downloaded factorio, I grabbed factorio_alpha_x64_0.9.8.tar.gz. Then:

Code: Select all

$ tar -xvzf factorio_alpha_x64_0.9.8.tar.gz

$ cd factorio/bin/x64

$ ./factorio

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

ls -l
Tells me the permissions are

--rw-r--r- and chmod doesn't change the file to executable

(And I made a mistake, I borrowed a window a machine they're not EXEs but executables but again child doesn't work to make them executable)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

$ chmod a+x factorio
doesn't work for you?

Are you trying to run factorio from an usb stick? Their filesystem usually don't support permission.
Another thing could be a filesystem mounted with noexec, but then you would _see_ --rwxr-xr-x, but it would say file not found or something as cryptic as that.

Youfailed
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Youfailed »

Okay, so I'm pretty new to Linux, and I have no clue how to install the game on Linux (even though I am no derp in PC topics).

I would very much appreciate any tutorial on how to install the game on Linux/Ubuntu.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

MF- wrote:$ chmod a+x factorio
It's possible that he'd need "sudo chmod a+x ./factorio" on Ubuntu (assuming that he was in the extracted factorio/bin/x64 folder).

But that's pretty much the tutorial right here in this topic, download and extract with tar (or any other archive manager, I like p7zip which uses the default archive manager as it's gui and 7z at the command line, though I don't have too much experience with linux), cd to the executable directory (factorio/bin/x64 or factorio/bin/x86 depending on 64bit or 32bit), and make the file executable with chmod. I think you can use Ubuntu's GUI to make it executable by right clicking, selecting properties, selecting the permissions tab and checking executable, (it might even ask how it should be opened if you double click the file but perhaps that's only when it's already marked as executable, I can't remember now, sorry).

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

The archive comes with the correct permissions, so it seems weird you should have to use chmod. Even if he did, as long as he didn't use sudo to unpack the archive the files should be owned by him, so sudo shouldn't be necessary to change permissions.
However, if you tried chmod and did not get an error message, yet the permissions haven't change something else is probably wrong. You said there was some confusion with a Windows machine, which brings this suspicion - is the filesystem you are using a native linux one?
e.g. - give the output of

df -T /path/to/factorio
(where "/path/to/factorio" is the path where you installed the game, ofcourse).
If the fs type is NTFS or FAT32 - this is your problem. Those filesystems don't support linux permissions, so obviously chmod won't work.

And to Youfailed - see daryltucker's message - it describes all the steps you have to follow. If you are still having trouble tell us what you tried and what didn't work.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

sillyfly wrote:...

(where "/path/to/factorio" is the path where you installed the game, ofcourse).
If the fs type is NTFS or FAT32 - this is your problem. Those filesystems don't support linux permissions, so obviously chmod won't work.
When I mount a window filesystem, all regular files appear as "umask=022", which grants all files a+x -> all should run
Unless it would be mounted with a different umask / noexec.

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

Youfailed wrote:I would very much appreciate any tutorial on how to install the game on Linux/Ubuntu.
If I remember correctly, it was pretty easy and didn't involve using the terminal emulator. The following list may seem pretty long but it's very detailed. :D

* Download the .tar.gz File from the factorio website (64bit if you use Ubuntu 64 bit / 32bit otherwise, of course).
* Open the file (in file-roller, which calls itself just "Archive Manager" now but internally it's still file-roller). For example, click the finished download in Chromium, or go to your download directory using the file browser and double-click the downloaded file.
* Click the "Extract" button in file-roller.
* Choose a location where you want factorio to be extraced. I recommend just using your home directory where all your other files are, and this is also the default setting in the file chooser. Don't use a place where you need root permissions / sudo, unless you know what you're doing. (In that case it's probably best to use /opt or /usr/local.)
* Click "Show the files" or close file-roller and navigate (using the file browser) to the place where you have just extracted the factorio download.
* Navigate to the "bin" directory inside the "factorio" directory, which should have a sub-directory (x64 in my case) for your binary architecture and change into that sub-directory.
* Double-click the factorio file inside that directory to start factorio.

If you're using an older/some AMD radeon card without AMD catalyst, factorio will exit on first launch due to a bug and enable low-graphics mode. It should work when trying again in low-graphics mode.

Return to “Technical Help”