Prevent Steam from updating the game?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Wupme
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Prevent Steam from updating the game?

Post by Wupme »

Hi everybody.

I've seen Factorio a few weeks ago in some YouTube Video and loved it so much, i instantly bought it on steam (already got 150 hours playtime, damn good game!)

And i might want to stay on 0.13 a bit longer then others for finishing my big factory.
But it seems that steam has removed the option to not update a game? I know it was there a few years back when i refused an update for a game which basically broke it for me.

Is there any other way to stay on 0.13?

Anybody knows if i can copy away the game files, and just copy them back if steam updates it when 0.14 is released?

In Steam forums everytime somebody asks about blocking updates they just get called names.
I Hope there is less unfriendly people here, and maybe somebody even has a solution for me :)

Greetings, Andy

neolithos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Prevent Steam from updating the game?

Post by neolithos »

Hi Andy,

I do not know a way to block updates. But may be you should choose a beta programm: Right Click -> Properties -> Betas -> 0.13.19

Hope this helps.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

You can connect your Steam account with a factorio.com account and download DRM-free releases of the game, back to the 0.6.4 release. If you already have a Factorio installation from Steam then choose the .zip version, otherwise they will share their saves/mods/config folder.

How to connect the two accounts:
  • Make an account on factorio.com if you don't have one yet
  • On factorio.com go to your profile page (click on your name on the top right)
  • Scroll down to connect your Steam account with your Factorio account
  • You can now download DRM-free releases and also have multiplayer and mod portal features
Wupme wrote:In Steam forums everytime somebody asks about blocking updates they just get called names.
If that happened on the Factorio forums on Steam please point me to that thread.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

download the package, and play from it from there as long as you like.
*note you will have to copy your save(s) from your roaming folder.

Wupme
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wupme »

daniel34 wrote:You can connect your Steam account with a factorio.com account and download DRM-free releases of the game, back to the 0.6.4 release. If you already have a Factorio installation from Steam then choose the .zip version, otherwise they will share their saves/mods/config folder.
I already did connect them, but didn't realize i could also use the non Steam version by that.
Thats awesome, thank you a lot :)
daniel34 wrote:
Wupme wrote:In Steam forums everytime somebody asks about blocking updates they just get called names.
If that happened on the Factorio forums on Steam please point me to that thread.
It wasn't the Factorio forums, but those of other games and the General Steam Forum.
Because of that i didn't even feel like trying on Steam again.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Wupme wrote:And i might want to stay on 0.13 a bit longer then others for finishing my big factory.
I'm almost certain that there were no major gameplay changes between 0.13 and 0.14. Upgrading to 0.14 shouldn't break anything.

Though, if you do test it, make backups just in case anyway.

Wupme
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wupme »

hoho wrote:
Wupme wrote: Though, if you do test it, make backups just in case anyway.
That was my thought. I think it might not break anything. But if it does, i still want to be able to finish what i started. So i was basically going for a safety net :)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

one thing. if you update the game version, saves from past versions have replays disabled.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

impetus maximus wrote:one thing. if you update the game version, saves from past versions have replays disabled.
Tiny note, starting from 0.14, you need to specifically turn on replays when beginning a new game. It defaults to off.

Return to “Technical Help”