Can't connect to host / can't find public IP

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
hoverbaum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Can't connect to host / can't find public IP

Post by hoverbaum »

Hi everyone,

a few friends and I fell in love witht eh game and started a multiplayer session. Tons of fun :D

Now I moved behind a different router and having problems to connect. Here is the situation:
We play witht threee people and without any mods.
The other two are able to connect to one nother. When I try to connect to the server via the "find public server" dialog I can find the server and click "join" but then it tells me "can't connect to host".
Similarly when I start a new multiplayer game via the "new game" button in the multiplayer section the game will load and then tell me "public IP could not be found. Other might not be able to join".
(System messages translated from the German ones I see)

So far I tried:
  • Making sure Factorio and factorio as well as Steam are allowed by my Firewall
  • Disabling the Firewall completely
  • Do a Portforwarding of the standard Factorio multiplayer Port (34...something I think)
  • Restart the game, Steam and my Laptop a few time as well as the router
  • Make sure that me and my friends are all using the same version of the game (0.13.20)
I guess that it would be a problem with the game or with my router because a week ago at my parents place I had no troubles playing with my friends.

Would greatly apprechiate any help or ideas what I could try to determine where the problem lies.

EDIT:
For some weird reason I am able to join some public servers that are listed in the "join a public game"

nevniv
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Can't connect to host / can't find public IP

Post by nevniv »

What kind of router is it? This person had the same issue as you. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28041

I have a feeling the issue lies with either your router or ISP but if you're really desperate you could also try these two suggestions below. I am not confident they will help.

Are you sure when you forwarded port 34197 that you chose UDP? I am doubting that is the problem but just making sure since you did not specify TCP or UDP.

If the router has a DMZ setting, you could try putting your internal IP address in there just as a test to see if it works, but that effectively forwards all ports to your PC so I would not recommend keeping that setting enabled.

Return to “Technical Help”