Stuck in multiplayer game with 5 fps

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DeeWoo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Stuck in multiplayer game with 5 fps

Post by DeeWoo »

Hi,

I'm running my own headless server on windows, and the base is getting quite large now (20-40 different people have been building here).
But when I join my own server, I can now only move for a few seconds, then my FPS drops to 5, and I'm stuck in place...I can't craft anything, can't chat, can't open inventory or any other window for that matter, it will only open for half a second, then it automatically close again.

I can see the minimap that other people are running along and doing stuff, and they're not complaining.

My locale machine is an AMD Phenom X6 1090T 3.21GHz with 16GB of RAM and a AMD Radeon R9 200 Series GPU.
The server is a Intel E5-2630L 2GHz with 128GB of RAM and a 10gig connection.

The hardware on both computers should be powerful enough I feel like...Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: This only happens during multiplayer, and I'm not running any mods.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Stuck in multiplayer game with 5 fps

Post by bk5115545 »

Get into the game and press F5 (it might be F4) to bring up the debug stats and post a screenshot here please.
They look like some white text with numbers on the right.

DeeWoo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeeWoo »

Attached is a screenshot, I was playing for about 30 minutes, and the game still runs, but I'm stuck there...can't move or do anything. I see other people run by, but I can't chat with them.
factorio.png
factorio.png (2.66 MiB) Viewed 2893 times

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

Entity update is very, very, very much too long.

There are about 2.2 million entities with 40k needing updating across almost 4 million connectors. I'm not surprised at all that the game is performing that poorly. The threaded optimizations that are in the works should really help this map since it's spread across almost 1900 chunks.
I remember someone switching all belts to underground belts and going from 3 to 20 FPS.

Also, is that number next to "jumps" increasing fairly regularly? What is the server's UPS (I suspect that it's also much lower than 60)? Maybe this is some weird bug about clients running the map better than the server.

Are the stats the same if you run the map (or a copy) in single player (not-headless)? Also you might try removing tile entities with the Undecorator mod and removing pollution by a command (try these in the copy of the world).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That looks like your game is trying to "catch up" but can't and so it falls more and more behind until you get dropped from the game.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DeeWoo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeeWoo »

The thing is, I never get dropped from the game. I'm just stuck in place and time...like an observer.

I've tried saving a local copy of the map, and I have no problem running the map locally.

Not sure about the server's UPS. But the other people on the map don't complain about anything. I'll try to watch the number after 'jumps' to see if it changes a lot.

I was hoping there might be a local problem on my end...some flag to run after the factorio.exe or something like that...guess I'll just wait for new patches :)

Return to “Technical Help”