Flamethrower causes lag

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
supernet2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Flamethrower causes lag

Post by supernet2 »

Flamethrower bug, more so when a player uses the portable flamethrower, it generates massive lag, this is after the flamethrower overhaul though.

Solo player, the flamethrower doesn't lag as intensely (IE on a solo play through non multiplayer enabled)

Multiplayer servers, the flamethrower generates massive lag after 10+ second bursts (i usually say a good 5-10 flamethrower burst helps reduce lag)

Really though its the affects it has on multiplayer.

Regarding flamethrower turrets, they do not generate lag with constant use (in unison side by side) on a multiplayer server. More debugging needed though to determine if they also generate massive lag as well. But as it currently stands only the portable flamethrower generates massive lag after 10sec+ constant streamed usage.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 0.13.x

Post by Rseding91 »

There's nothing in how flamethrowers work that would actually make what you're saying true.

If the game lags in multiplayer it's most likely one of the players on the server or the server its self can't keep up.

Enable the debug times for multiplayer and watch that when it's slow - it will tell you who's falling behind and can't keep up with the rest of the players.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

supernet2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by supernet2 »

Rseding91 wrote:There's nothing in how flamethrowers work that would actually make what you're saying true.

If the game lags in multiplayer it's most likely one of the players on the server or the server its self can't keep up.

Enable the debug times for multiplayer and watch that when it's slow - it will tell you who's falling behind and can't keep up with the rest of the players.
Ohh okay thanks for the speedy input. Ill re-review my server specs and other players server specs.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

maybe it's one of the player's clients lagging when using a hand-held flamer, and then it drags performance down for everyone?

supernet2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by supernet2 »

I figure the game has to feed that data to everyone and if their machine cannot handle it or the server cannot handle it, the bottle neck is the server hardware, or the players hardware, or a mixmatch of the two if its not on your end. Thats what i gathered, and what i also equally suspected, but didn't want to say as i don't fully understand how the game operates. As my current understanding technically the server should be a bottle neck its hardware and bandwidth is the first to question, afterwards you then go to the user side, on their client, just i understand the games in beta so its kinda a mix match of both. Add in, before the 0.13.x updates, the instability caused by the networking made it more so the players network was the bottleneck more than anything, with the 0.13.x revision i've seen that its now more of a mix match of both. More so server hardware, and player client side hardware since the recent networking ajudstment really did fix literally all networking issues, pushing it more so to the bottleneck of bandwidth is really determined first by server bandwidth, then player side, and if they lag to much then it affects everyone. Network detection could use work but ill look at the forums before making a bug report regarding how network detection drops work

Return to “Technical Help”