Experimental branch with SteamCMD?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
JakenVeina
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Experimental branch with SteamCMD?

Post by JakenVeina »

Does anyone else use SteamCMD for server management, and have you been able to update to the experimental branch?

I've tried every iteration I can think of and steamcmd always just reports "App is up to date".

"app_update 247520 -beta experimental"
"app_update 247520 -beta beta"
"app_update 247520 -beta 0.13.5"

etc.

I've had to just zip up the files on my desktop and upload them manually at every patch.

ChainsLunatic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Experimental branch with SteamCMD?

Post by ChainsLunatic »

I do, but nope, I neither can't update to experimental.

ChainsLunatic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ChainsLunatic »

JakenVeina wrote:Does anyone else use SteamCMD for server management, and have you been able to update to the experimental branch?

I've tried every iteration I can think of and steamcmd always just reports "App is up to date".

etc.

I've had to just zip up the files on my desktop and upload them manually at every patch.
I just got it working. Try:

call steamcmd.exe +login JakenVeina +force_install_dir ..\Factorio\ "+app_update 427520 -beta experimental validate" +quit

PlasmatikSteak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PlasmatikSteak »

ChainsLunatic wrote:
JakenVeina wrote:Does anyone else use SteamCMD for server management, and have you been able to update to the experimental branch?

etc.

I just got it working. Try:

call steamcmd.exe +login JakenVeina +force_install_dir ..\Factorio\ "+app_update 427520 -beta experimental validate" +quit
I've tried

Code: Select all

call steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir c:\factorio_steam "+app_update 427520 -beta experimental validate" +quit
but it just keeps telling me that it is up to date even though it's not installing any experimental version.

When I start factorio from commandline it tells me it's 0.14.23

0.054 Running in headless mode
 0.064 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
 0.086 Loading mod base 0.14.23 (data.lua)
Anybody know what i'm doing wrong here?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

PlasmatikSteak wrote:I've tried

call steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir c:\factorio_steam "+app_update 427520 -beta experimental validate" +quit
but it just keeps telling me that it is up to date even though it's not installing any experimental version.
Try -beta 0.15.x
I also don't think you need the quotes.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

PlasmatikSteak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PlasmatikSteak »

daniel34 wrote:

Try -beta 0.15.x
Nice!
It worked, with the quotes. Thanks.

Caennanu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Caennanu »

i have just used this update, for the first time.
It updated fine, but server won't start after.

@echo off
start "" steamcmd.exe +login REMOVED +force_install_dir +force_install_dir C:\Servers\Factorio_0.15.3 +app_update 427520 -beta 0.15.x +quit

I am getting the error now tho, that level.dat is missing when i start the server.
I did not have this issue prior to the update from 15.3.

I can slightly remember reading a similar issue, but cannot find it.
Redownloaded the zip file from factorio.com, it does not contain that file either?

Caennanu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Caennanu »

i have it working, but not thru the CMD update.
When i download from the site unpack and copy the json and bat file over, it works just fine.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Caennanu wrote:I am getting the error now tho, that level.dat is missing when i start the server.
I did not have this issue prior to the update from 15.3.

I can slightly remember reading a similar issue, but cannot find it.
Redownloaded the zip file from factorio.com, it does not contain that file either?
level.dat doesn't come with Factorio, it's part of the savegame zip. Check if you can open the savefile with a graphical Factorio instance or try another savefile.

Caennanu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Caennanu »

daniel34 wrote:level.dat doesn't come with Factorio, it's part of the savegame zip. Check if you can open the savefile with a graphical Factorio instance or try another savefile.
funny thing, i have done that. it refuses to load up in the list of save files.
However, when i do a clean 'install' from the zip file, all the issues are gone.

i'm thinking there is something wrong with the update part of steamCMD. maybe that it changes file paths or something of the sorts that do not reflect in the config files.
if you want, i have both broken and fixed versions on my server in zip format, i can supply if you wish to investigate.

Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Soul »

Is the SteamCMD version identical to the headless version? I didn't even think about using Steam to manage my server (I've done it in the past with other games). I've been wget'ing the headless .tar.xz the whole time... :roll:

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Soul wrote:Is the SteamCMD version identical to the headless version? I didn't even think about using Steam to manage my server (I've done it in the past with other games). I've been wget'ing the headless .tar.xz the whole time... :roll:
I'm not that experienced with SteamCMD, but I think it just downloads the same files as the standard Steam client would. Since Factorio starts headless when using any of the --start-server command line arguments it should behave just like the headless server.

If you e.g. wanted to run a headless server on WIndows you'd get a full installation or zip-version (even the Steam version works without any Steam connection), and if you start it with --start-server it should behave like a headless server.

Caennanu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Caennanu »

Soul wrote:Is the SteamCMD version identical to the headless version?
Yes, the steam version is the actual version, as you specify in the update file which version you wish to download.
It then checks which version you have and then downloads and updates the game in sequence (so from 15.3 to 15.6 you get 3x download and installation), this is obviously a bit inefficiënt.

What steam does do, it creates additional folders and files. Such as steamapp and some library thing, when you remove that it won't start up the game-client.

So yes, it seems to be the same version, with the addition of steam added plugins.
Even tho headless-client won't run when starting the game-client itsself it will start up just fine and you can generate a map and play it locally.

Wezz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wezz »

PlasmatikSteak wrote:
daniel34 wrote:

Try -beta 0.15.x
Nice!
For me it only sais:
ERROR! Failed to install app '427520' (No subscription)

I'm also using the login anonymous

steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\Game servers\Factorio" "+app_update 427520 -beta 0.15.x validate"
Any ideas?

Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Soul »

Wezz wrote:
PlasmatikSteak wrote:
daniel34 wrote:

Try -beta 0.15.x
Nice!
For me it only sais:
ERROR! Failed to install app '427520' (No subscription)

I'm also using the login anonymous

steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\Game servers\Factorio" "+app_update 427520 -beta 0.15.x validate"
Any ideas?
You might need to login with your steam credentials

SteamCMD Login
For a game that requires logins
via https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Wezz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wezz »

Doesn't work. Also tried logging in manually but steamCMD always hangs. I'm using Steam guard

Logging in user '' to Steam Public...Login Failure: Invalid Password
FAILED with result code 5
Gonna try to reinstall steamCMD

EDIT:
No need to reinstall steamCMD.

Turns out the password needs to be written, not pasted. Then it asked for the Steam guard code.
The script doesn't work though since it seem to ask for my steam guard code every time.

Well, it's still much faster than downloading and extracting the 600+MB zip file after every update :D

Return to “Technical Help”