game only wants to work with the (slower) wifi

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Nickname34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

game only wants to work with the (slower) wifi

Post by Nickname34 »

HALP! why does factorio do dat? i want a better ping to a server, and my wifi is slower then cable, but factorio wont connect with my ethernet cable?! HALP!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: game only wants to work with the (slower) wifi

Post by Rseding91 »

Nickname34 wrote:HALP! why does factorio do dat? i want a better ping to a server, and my wifi is slower then cable, but factorio wont connect with my ethernet cable?! HALP!
Disconnect the wireless?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Factorio, don't choose wich interface it use, it take the first available. If you don't want to disconnect the wireless, you need to change the order to make the ethernet interface more inportant than the wireless one.

To do so, go to network and sharing center (in the control panel), then in the left, there should be a link named "change adapter settings". On this new screen you need to go to the "advanced" menu. If you don't have it, press ALT (left one) on your keyboard to show the menu bar then "advenced" and "advanced settings".

A little window will appear and in the first tab, top half there will be a list of all network interface. Change the order using the arrow on the right to make your ethernet interface to the top. Then close everything using "OK" button. Restart factorio and it should be using the ethernet interface when it is plugged.

_____

For anyone reading this, it's the same trick to make factorio (multiplayer with friend) working with hamachi or other similar software when you don't/can't open a port in the router, the hamachi interface should be at the top to make factorio use it instead of standard lan.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Nickname34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nickname34 »

Neemys wrote:Factorio, don't choose wich interface it use, it take the first available. If you don't want to disconnect the wireless, you need to change the order to make the ethernet interface more inportant than the wireless one.

To do so, go to network and sharing center (in the control panel), then in the left, there should be a link named "change adapter settings". On this new screen you need to go to the "advanced" menu. If you don't have it, press ALT (left one) on your keyboard to show the menu bar then "advenced" and "advanced settings".

A little window will appear and in the first tab, top half there will be a list of all network interface. Change the order using the arrow on the right to make your ethernet interface to the top. Then close everything using "OK" button. Restart factorio and it should be using the ethernet interface when it is plugged.

_____

For anyone reading this, it's the same trick to make factorio (multiplayer with friend) working with hamachi or other similar software when you don't/can't open a port in the router, the hamachi interface should be at the top to make factorio use it instead of standard lan.
in what do you change?

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Nickname34 wrote:
Neemys wrote:Factorio, don't choose wich interface it use, it take the first available. If you don't want to disconnect the wireless, you need to change the order to make the ethernet interface more inportant than the wireless one.

_____

in what do you change?
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Return to “Technical Help”