buying the game

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Pupper_Master
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

buying the game

Post by Pupper_Master »

If i buy the game right now ,will I be able to play the full version of the game(1.0)?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: buying the game

Post by daniel34 »

Yes.
http://www.factorio.com/buy wrote:You get an access to the game right NOW. You will be entitled to ALL the game updates in the future as well. We deliver new versions every couple of months. Together with the game comes a scenario pack with three mini campaigns exploring different aspects of the game. You can get a Steam key to own the game on Steam as well.
The same is true if you buy the game on Steam.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

daniel34 wrote:Yes.
http://www.factorio.com/buy wrote:You get an access to the game right NOW. You will be entitled to ALL the game updates in the future as well. We deliver new versions every couple of months. Together with the game comes a scenario pack with three mini campaigns exploring different aspects of the game. You can get a Steam key to own the game on Steam as well.
The same is true if you buy the game on Steam.
Wobbly Steam is more a problem then solution for the end customer.
Not only support direct buy from the developers site the Factorio developers commercially by cutting out the middlemen, also keeps one save but not unnecessary sprinkling personal data around and there is no need for a separate installment of a in-transparent runtime software which most probably could serve Steams side interests

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

And don't forget, if you buy from steam, valve gets half your money, where if you buy from the site, the devs get all of it!
http://www.factorio.com/buy wrote:We deliver new versions every couple of months.
Pffft, what? are they talking about bugfix releases?
Okay, true, they have released a stable every couple of months, but 0.12 has seen several now. When they finally announced that they were moving away from bugfixes, and into 0.13 development, they gave a 2 month dev time estimate until initial release!

I'm not complaining about progress of the game, but "couple of months" isn't true any more now that the game is more complex.
Though I do kind of miss the weekly and bi-weekly bugfix releases. (Though that is to be expected when they've moving into developing new features instead.)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

bobingabout wrote:And don't forget, if you buy from steam, valve gets half your money, where if you buy from the site, the devs get all of it!
http://www.factorio.com/buy wrote:We deliver new versions every couple of months.
Pffft, what? are they talking about bugfix releases?
Okay, true, they have released a stable every couple of months, but 0.12 has seen several now.
For a alpha software (Factorio can be hardly called a game) the updates are coming unusually fast and as such it is far more stable then many beta or even final SW.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Don't get me wrong, the progress is good, I just don't think "couple of months" applies.

I mean, it's what, 6 months on average between major updates (okay, the 0.13 is an unusually long one, but It was delayed due to steam preparation), and minor (mostly bug fix) releases can be as often as twice a week, to every couple of weeks.
I also have a Patreon.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

bobingabout wrote:Don't get me wrong, the progress is good, I just don't think "couple of months" applies.

I mean, it's what, 6 months on average between major updates (okay, the 0.13 is an unusually long one, but It was delayed due to steam preparation), and minor (mostly bug fix) releases can be as often as twice a week, to every couple of weeks.
You ask the impossible for a basically six man team developing a extremely complicated and demanding software ported to x languages on several (PC, Mac, Linux) platforms.
And they deliver that impossible indeed:
Given their performance, what they're providing with this Alpha is making the impossible possible.

Sean Mirrsen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

brunzenstein wrote:Wobbly Steam is more a problem then solution for the end customer.
Not only support direct buy from the developers site the Factorio developers commercially by cutting out the middlemen, also keeps one save but not unnecessary sprinkling personal data around and there is no need for a separate installment of a in-transparent runtime software which most probably could serve Steams side interests
No matter how much I think the devs deserve their money for this game, there is just no way I could buy it for $20, the conversion rates and average profit differences being what they are right now. While this political idiocy lasts, Steam is many Russians' only means of buying games at sane prices. So it all depends on where you live - if it weren't for Steam, I'd still be sitting on a pirated copy of the game right now. >_>

Also the save data is kept in the same place regardless of which version you use, and the only downside of the Steam version is the integration required for achievements, which means you can't launch the game without Steam. But you still get the option to link your account and get a Steam-free (and achievement-free) version of the game from the devs directly.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Sean Mirrsen wrote: No matter how much I think the devs deserve their money for this game, there is just no way I could buy it for $20, the conversion rates and average profit differences being what they are right now. While this political idiocy lasts, Steam is many Russians' only means of buying games at sane prices.
Sorry Sean Mirrsen - no pun intended - but...
You demand brisk to be given a RollsRoyce for the price of a Yugo because you cannot afford the former one.
Thats not the way a capitalistic societies clockwork ticks. And that the opposite (Vladimir Lenin drove only RollsRoyce in London - actually he owned nine of them - and demanded, like you, for every communistic worker to be given a RollsRoyce for free) failed is evident.

Sean Mirrsen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sean Mirrsen wrote: No matter how much I think the devs deserve their money for this game, there is just no way I could buy it for $20, the conversion rates and average profit differences being what they are right now. While this political idiocy lasts, Steam is many Russians' only means of buying games at sane prices.
You demand brisk to be given a RollsRoyce for the price of a Yugo because you cannot afford the former one.
Thats not the way a capitalistic societies clockwork ticks. And that the opposite (Vladimir Lenin drove only RollsRoyce in London - actually he owned nine of them - and demanded, like you, for every communistic worker to be given a RollsRoyce for free) failed is evident.
I don't demand being given the game for free - but thing is, I can't afford a RollsRoyce, in that analogy, even if I would gladly buy one if I could. At the same time, I have the option of just taking one of the freely available bootleg RollsRoyces being churned out by some Chinese factory and just left there on the sidewalk for everyone to take. So all things being equal, I'm more than happy to pay the price of a humble Chevrolet Niva instead, something I can actually afford (and drive on these roads), than either stay with the suspiciously free luxury car of questionable enjoyability, or walk. :)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
I don't demand being given the game for free - but thing is, I can't afford a RollsRoyce, in that analogy, even if I would gladly buy one if I could. At the same time, I have the option of just taking one of the freely available bootleg RollsRoyces being churned out by some Chinese factory and just left there on the sidewalk for everyone to take. So all things being equal, I'm more than happy to pay the price of a humble Chevrolet Niva instead, something I can actually afford (and drive on these roads), than either stay with the suspiciously free luxury car of questionable enjoyability, or walk. :)
What you say in a nutshell is:
Either the developers give you a RollsRoyce (bcs. you can't afford one) for the price of a bicycle or you have to steal (bootleg ) a RollyRoyce from the producer. What is, if one has a broader view, commercially not necessarily a negative thing as such as every bootleg version (mostly coming along with viruses en masse) is a potential advertisement to the real thing for people who can afford. Thats the reason why e.g. the company Marlborough cigarettes was found to bootleg their own cigarettes themselves ;-)

Sean Mirrsen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

brunzenstein wrote:What you say in a nutshell is:
Either the developers give you a RollsRoyce (bcs. you can't afford one) for the price of a bicycle or you have to steal (bootleg ) a RollyRoyce from the producer. What is, if one has a broader view, commercially not necessarily a negative thing as such as every bootleg version (mostly coming along with viruses en masse) is a potential advertisement to the real thing for people who can afford. Thats the reason why e.g. the company Marlborough cigarettes was found to bootleg their own cigarettes themselves ;-)
If you think about it... the devs are providing a DRM-free version of the game through their site...

But anyways, I'm just saying that I don't buy games except on Steam, nowadays. Maybe GOG, on rare occasions, because they also have a favorable conversion rate.
I mean, look at this. Any complaints I might ever have against Steam, are basically drowned out by that pricing policy. So long as that keeps up, you could easily mistake me for one of Valve's loyal fans. :P

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sean Mirrsen wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
What you say in a nutshell is:
Your ability to shitpost any thread into oblivion with either your apple-bullshit or your superimportant worldviews is really astonishing. I will do my best to report your shitposting in the future. Seriously, enough is enough, I can't stand you smug bullshit popping up in every second thread since last week.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

aka13 wrote:I will do my best to report your shitposting in the future. Seriously, enough is enough, I can't stand you smug bullshit popping up in every second thread since last week.
Be my guest - Sir.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, well, direct from the Devs is best, but I never said not to buy from steam at all, I perfectly understand the convenience, and how trying to pay via other means can get expensive.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Technical Help”