Headless win server

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Headless win server

Post by Killavirus »

Not entirely sure where to be asking this, so have ended up here.

Is there any information in regards to running a headless Windows server? can't find any information on eta etc etc ?
Addiction Thy Name be Factorio, FACTORIO IS NOT A LIE.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Headless win server

Post by Rseding91 »

The headless windows doesn't exist as it's not needed. You can just run the zip version of the Windows game with the start server flags to run it as a server.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

If you want it to autostart on boot or something then you can put something like the below into a run.bat file and put it in your startup directory.

Code: Select all

start "Factorio Almost-Headless Server Autostart" /MIN "C:\path\to\factorio.exe --start-server save_name.zip"
This will start the version of factorio that is in the directory specified and run the server with the save that's also specified. It will be started as minimized because of the /MIN flag.
If factorio is starting too early and slowing down boot you can delay its start with something like the below.

sleep 15
This waits 15 second before continuing.

Combining these gives the whole batch script

sleep 15
start "Factorio Almost-Headless Server Autostart" /MIN "C:\path\to\factorio.exe --start-server save_name.zip"

nsanity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nsanity »

Rseding91 wrote:The headless windows doesn't exist as it's not needed. You can just run the zip version of the Windows game with the start server flags to run it as a server.
it would be preferable because then you could enable automatic updating via a script... viewtopic.php?f=53&t=25258&p=159033#p159033

Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killavirus »

Many thanks, for all your expert advice.
Sorry for the delay in posting, but the server i got working with steam kept crashing my dedi :/ so took a break, will see if this is more stable.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

you are running the steam version on your server ? better took the one from the website. Don't need steam so more ressource for the rest ;)

If you don't know how to get it :

First you need an account on Factorio website (not the same account as forum) : https://www.factorio.com/

Then, Confirm your account and login. Clicking on your name in top right bring a page where you can link your steam account (bottom of the page).

After steam account linked you can download DRM-free version of the game here : https://www.factorio.com/download/stable
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killavirus »

Many thanks for Clearing that up, I had recently found out, but still great info if somebody else comes across this thread. Many thanks for your time :)
Will be configuring services to run factorio today :) wish me and the server luck !

Return to “Technical Help”