Dedicated server on CentOS6

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
arriej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Dedicated server on CentOS6

Post by arriej »

Hello people from Factorio!

I have been trying to setup a dedicted/headless server for some mates and my self. so we can play without everyone lagging when someone has a crap internet connection.
I happend to have a dedicated machine running other game servers, and using tcadmin. so i could run the server without my pc having to be on all the time. I have been able to set up everything the right way. with the headless file, and a safe file.
Still not able to run the server. Then i read the wiki again.

did the check to see if i had all libs installed for the server. get the following.

As you see it tells me that i've got the latest version of Glibc. on CentOS6 this is the most recent version. And I am not able to replace it with an newer version because then my os stops working, Seethis post for more info.

Now my question is: Is there any to bypass this? Or any plans to make it compatible with older versions of glibc?

Thanks!

Arriej

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dedicated server on CentOS6

Post by daniel34 »

You are trying to start the full linux version in graphical mode, which requires Glibc.
Instead you need to start it with --start-server save.zip, then it will start in headless mode.

It is recommended you use the headless version (http://www.factorio.com/download-headless) instead of the full linux binary although it should work with the full version, too.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

arriej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by arriej »

Thanks for the quick reply!

But i did download the headless version of the game, ill delete the current version on m,y server and upload it again.
And i tried starting it with the command you have me, but the same glibc issue pops up again:

So i just did the LDD thing suggested on the wiki:

And the wiki also says its for Centos 7. but should be compatible with most of the linux distro's
But still the same issue. :c
Last edited by arriej on Thu May 05, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Factorio needs GLIBC 2.15 or newer, headless or client. Centos 6 seems to have 2.12. You'll have to use a newer version (Centos 7 seems to have a recent enough version), or a different distribution.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7147&p=83524#p83524

arriej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by arriej »

sillyfly wrote:Factorio needs GLIBC 2.15 or newer, headless or client. Centos 6 seems to have 2.12. You'll have to use a newer version (Centos 7 seems to have a recent enough version), or a different distribution.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7147&p=83524#p83524
if only it took me a day to drive down to the data center to update my machine :c
But that to clear that up for me, I can stop trying

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

arriej wrote:I have been trying to setup a dedicted/headless server for some mates and my self. so we can play without everyone lagging when someone has a crap internet connection.
Adding yet another client won't help with that (the dedicated "server" is just that: a client without a GUI)
arriej wrote:Image

As you see it tells me that i've got the latest version of Glibc. on CentOS6 this is the most recent version.
Don't run Factorio (or anything like it) as root.

Any reason you can't just update to a less ancient distro?

Maybe you could throw a Gentoo installation into a chroot and run Factorio from there. Just unpacking a stage 3 tarball already gives you a somewhat usable system...
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

arriej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by arriej »

prg wrote:
arriej wrote:I have been trying to setup a dedicted/headless server for some mates and my self. so we can play without everyone lagging when someone has a crap internet connection.
Adding yet another client won't help with that (the dedicated "server" is just that: a client without a GUI)
arriej wrote:Image

As you see it tells me that i've got the latest version of Glibc. on CentOS6 this is the most recent version.
Don't run Factorio (or anything like it) as root.

Any reason you can't just update to a less ancient distro?

Maybe you could throw a Gentoo installation into a chroot and run Factorio from there. Just unpacking a stage 3 tarball already gives you a somewhat usable system...
Reason i am not easily able to update, is that my server is located somewhere else in the Netherlands, takes me 3 hours to drive there. And i have other game servers running on it. meaning i have to make a backup of all my game servers.
But its something that i have planned in the near future to go there and update it. just cost me 2 days yo do it all.

Also you dont have to worry about the root thing, I use TCAdmin to run my game servers. this was a test to see what comes up when i run the server, because on tcadmin it only shows "error"

Quazil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quazil »

Consider using KVM to manage virtual machines and containers to host the games.
... 'course you'd want a modern distribution to host that with so you'd still have to update from CentOS6.

Return to “Technical Help”