Opening port in uTorrent?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Opening port in uTorrent?

Post by wEight »

I tried playing with my brother Factorio through hamachi, but a relayed tunnel problem happens. I don't want to discuss that. I don't know how to port forward manually. So I've figured out a way to host servers with uTorrent. I simply put the port (I did Factorio's port: 34197) in the settings, go to ipchicken, sent the IP address without port, now I tried that on minecraft and counter - strike which worked. I open the dedicated server, put the port (for example: 27015) in the dedicated server, then put it in uTorrent settings, go to ipchicken, copy my IP Address and send them without the port. They can easily enter my servers. But in Factorio I tried the same way but it requires port with the ip... he tried with the port but nothing. I mean, okay, maybe Factorio doesn't work that way like mc and cs, but still.. could a possible update or even a mod allow only IP's to be inserted?

Edit: Is that possible anyway?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Opening port in uTorrent?

Post by sillyfly »

I really don't understand what you've tried doing, or how it works.
Do you mean you got Minecraft and CS to connect to uTorrent and operate as if it was their dedicated server? That sounds highly unlikely.
Also, as far as I can tell "ipchicken" just lets you see your public IP address, so what do you mean by "putting your address without port" to it?

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Maybe the idea is to have uTorrent forward a port for you via UPnP so it can be used later with a different application if you can't figure out your router's web admin interface yourself.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

Sorry, I'm surrounded by lots of things I don't know what to do first.

Let's make a Counter - Strike server example.
To host a multiplayer server you have to start the Dedicated Server Client where you can put any port you want like in Factorio config. Let's use 25017 for our dedicated server client.
In uTorrent I open the port for incoming connections (It has to be 25017 so people can enter my dedicated server through it). I need my public address of course, so I go to ipchicken and get it there. For example It's 34.567.89.0 (not really my address, random). So now, players only need to use 34.567.89.0 for connecting to my game. If it was port forwarded manually then It should be 34.567.89.0:25017 otherwise they can't connect. I don't know how to port forward and I don't want to even try fixing hamachi anymore since everything I tried lead to failure. Now I want to host a Factorio MP Server. The port is 34917. I open it through uTorrent the same way as for cs. I give them my public address. 34.567.89.0. They type it in Factorio, try to connect, it says that it requires a port to be typed in. They try typing the port too, they can't connect.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

wEight wrote:They type it in Factorio, try to connect, it says that it requires a port to be typed in. They try typing the port too, they can't connect.
In Factorio you don't need to enter a port to connect, the IP alone works (it will use 34197 then).
Can/you they post a screenshot of that error message?
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

It was just a misunderstanding. Excuse him. But it still wont work. I have too little knowledge in networks. Hamachi's not working, I don't know anymore. Thanks for your replies.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

I used Hamachi back in the day, but I don't think it is nearly as good anymore.
Maybe try using Tunngle. It's made specifically for gaming. http://www.tunngle.net/en/download
Edit: Or maybe https://www.evolvehq.com/

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

Both of them are bs. Evolve's too complicated, also opens me over 4394 windows. Tunngle gives those stupid errors about firewall and stuff, I have everything set correctly.. thank you, but I'll just wait for GameRanger, the only good program I know. It will take 20 years for devs to update it, since they're inactive.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Well can't really comment as I haven't used Tunngle in a while and have never used Evolve. However, I can't see Evolve being less secure than using uTorrent for this.

If you are feeling adventurous you could try setting up OpenVPN, though it would likely take a lot of effort to get it working right as it's a manual process.
Some guides to that effect: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =208982314
http://superuser.com/questions/254306/c ... -os-and-be
Last edited by NoriSilverrage on Tue May 03, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

Thanks for leaving it here, this might work for other people, but you know that I already tried making Hamachi and other things to work correctly. I'm not gonna try setting up OpenVPN. Hopefully GameRanger will wake up.

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Peppe »

I suspect if uTorrent was setting your port forwarding for you using uPnP then it probably was doing it just for TCP port, which may work for the other games you listed, but factorio uses UDP ports.

Maybe try an app like this? http://www.howtogeek.com/122227/how-to- ... plication/
Basically a upnp app that lets you set the ports from the client machine. You would want to set it to udp for whatever port you have factorio configured to... the default port should be mentioned above.

Or if you have access to your router follow a port forwarding guide and most common routers probably have a video walk-through.

StarFox31
Inserter
Inserter

Post by StarFox31 »

wEight wrote:Thanks for leaving it here, this might work for other people, but you know that I already tried making Hamachi and other things to work correctly. I'm not gonna try setting up OpenVPN. Hopefully GameRanger will wake up.
NoriSilverrage had a good suggestion. Do Evolve. It is very easy to setup and free. I have been using it since day 1 as I was having major issues trying to figure out any other setup.

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

PortMapper couldn't find my router even though I had it.
Evolve's playing Hamachi with relayed tunnel bs.

If only there was something like cncnet for factorio.
Also why UDP? Why not TCP?

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

wEight wrote:PortMapper couldn't find my router even though I had it.
Evolve's playing Hamachi with relayed tunnel bs.

If only there was something like cncnet for factorio.
Also why UDP? Why not TCP?
Funnily enough they explain why in the latest news post: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-136
Using TCP would have three important consequences: It would force players to open TCP ports as well as UDP ports in firewalls and NAT servers, it would remove the possibility of using NAT punching now or later with MP matching server and it would cause problems with downloading from multiple players at the same time.

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

I see. Would it be a problem to just add TCP and let players choose the protocol their Factorio will be using? I know this question might sound stupid, but I know little about networks. After adding the protocol next to the existing one, the rest should be done by players, they can just upload their maps/needed resources on any site like dropbox and send it to their friends. It's actually disappointing Factorio uses UDP but now that you mention that it will cause problems It's okay. I'd only like the least from the devs. Hey I played MC and CS with TCP and any resources would download without problems. No Hamachi, no worryings about relayed or direct access, no port forwarding. uTorrent is just the best solution to host any game server through TCP and the easiest thing. It just does that, you type in the port and there you have it. Amazing discovery (Yet not discovered by me).

stummies
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by stummies »

To be honest forwarding ports on a router is trivial compared to trying to setup OpenVPN or whatever else you're trying. That said have you enabled UDP in uTorrent? Not sure if this setting is default on but under the BitTorrent section under settings there should be an option to enable UDP tracker support. Factorio uses UDP, not TCP so any forwarding done must use the UDP protocol. If this option isn't turned on in uTorrent the UPnP may only be forwarding the TCP port. Not sure if this will work but worth a shot. Of course I'm assuming your router supports UPnP and the option for it is checked (if not make sure these are enabled too, found under the Connection section in settings.

EDIT: Forgot about Windows, make sure any local firewalls are opened for the game. Windows usually prompts asking if you want to allow it but if you said no or missed it the traffic may be blocked.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved from General to technical help.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

I don't see the option in uTorrent to choose UDP or TCP, but It's set to TCP for sure.

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

Okay forget utorrent, hamachi and evolve are having the same relayed connection problem. Whenever we try to fix them by going on the net and find solutions, It's hopeless. Garena doesn't show any games, It's only a messenger. Tunngle doesn't let me log in because of an unexplained reason, thus is such a stupid program that eats too much ram. Port Mapper can't recognize my router. We even tried to turn off our firewalls and antivirus softwares. I don't know how others do it at all.

wEight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wEight »

Tried OpenVPN. Same thing... I don't know what the heck is going on anymore. We really tried turning off firewall completely, tried restarting our routers and modems dozen of times.

uTorrent forwards TCP only.
Hamachi relayed tunnel problem, after reinstalling won't let me log in nor register.
Evolve relayed connection problem.
Tunngle won't let me login for unknown reason, the error is "too descriptive" /sarcasm.
Garena+ won't find Factorio and is actually just a messenger.
Port forwarding from router (Real router) didn't work either.
PortMapper won't recognize my router for unknown reason.
OpenVPN won't work for unknown reason (Either the manuals for it weren't helpful or the same unknown reason)
Gameranger won't add the game until 2030. Possibly never.

"Won't work" translates to: My brother can't access my server (could not establish network communication with server). Same goes for his perspective.

Return to “Technical Help”