[Solved] Unable to open game via Steam - permission issue

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Nevik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Solved] Unable to open game via Steam - permission issue

Post by Nevik »

Hi All,

I'm not sure that this is a game issue - rather an OS issue and my complete lack of technical ability...

When I try to start the game (via Steam) it shows the loading splash screen, gets to 99% and fails with the following error message:

boost:filesystem::permissions: Access is denied: "C:/Users\Mum & Dad\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\temp\Factorio.exe"

I have tried, to the best of my limited ability to check the permissions of all of the folders along the above chain and all appear okay.

This version of the game was downloaded via Steam. Prior to the release I was getting a similar error fail on startup if I the game had been installed using the exe installer......however if I used the zip I was able to install and play okay - This still remains the case.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall via Steam without any success.

As I say, I highly doubt this is a game issue - but if someone could give me some pointers in how to sort out the permission issue so I can play through Steam that would be appreciated.

OS is Windows 7 SP1 64bit
Last edited by Nevik on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Unable to open game via Steam - file permission issue

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

I would tipp on the & in the username. Is it for you possilbe to log into the computer with another login?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

When I have this exact error, It's because in %APPDATA%\Factorio there is a temp folder on which I have no permission. I had posted a bug report maybe one or two years ago, but as I'm not able to reproduce it, I never could provide the devs a way to solve it - if it's really a Factorio thing. If it's the case for you too, just delete with admin rights that temp folder, and you're good to play.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Nevik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nevik »

Thanks for the help Phillip and Koub.

Koub your suggestion of deleting the temp file worked.
Cheers!
:)

Return to “Technical Help”