Weird FPS behaviour when window not active

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
punchkid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Weird FPS behaviour when window not active

Post by punchkid »

So I'm having an odd issue.
I'm running dual monitors and when the factorio window on my 1st monitor is active I get 22 FPS stable, no spikes no slow downs.
When I click into my second monitor and the factorio window loses focus it all of a sudden goes up to a stable smooth 60 FPS.
Why is this happening? and is there a way I can get 60 FPS when I'm actually playing? It is so smooth and nice looking.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Weird FPS behaviour when window not active

Post by Koub »

What's your configuration ? Do you have a logfile available ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

punchkid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by punchkid »

Configuration:
Windows 10
intel i5 @3.4ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
16gb ram
I'm running 2 screens, both 27" @ 1440p
The game and windows is installed on SSDs

I added both the log files
Let me know if there is anything else I can do
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
factorio-current.log
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

OK so none of the initial ideas I had apply to this :D.
I'll let people more skilled than I am at reading logs (like the devs) have a look too. Your crash (the one in Factorio-previous), however, doesn't seem related to the problem you reported, am I right ?

punchkid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by punchkid »

So I tried setting the option for what screen to play on, previously this option wasn't selected, but the game was shown on my primary monitor by default.
I tried setting it to monitor 1 thinking maybe somehow it would help.
The only problem is that now the game is shown on my second monitor (Its number 2 in windows config as well as nvidia control panel, and its not set as my primary monitor)
But on the bright side I'm now getting a smooth 60 FPS, just not on my main and best monitor :/

punchkid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by punchkid »

Koub wrote:OK so none of the initial ideas I had apply to this :D.
I'll let people more skilled than I am at reading logs (like the devs) have a look too. Your crash (the one in Factorio-previous), however, doesn't seem related to the problem you reported, am I right ?
This is correct

punchkid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by punchkid »

punchkid wrote:So I tried setting the option for what screen to play on, previously this option wasn't selected, but the game was shown on my primary monitor by default.
I tried setting it to monitor 1 thinking maybe somehow it would help.
The only problem is that now the game is shown on my second monitor (Its number 2 in windows config as well as nvidia control panel, and its not set as my primary monitor)
But on the bright side I'm now getting a smooth 60 FPS, just not on my main and best monitor :/
well, after some more testing its not smooth, as soon as too much stuff is happening the fps drops so around 30, but its still way better then when I try playing on my main monitor.

It is a gsync monitor if that might have anything to do with it. As it seems to me like its capping the FPS to the lowest it will go. while on my other monitor it stay to 60 until my accumulators light up, then it drops, or if I zoom all the way out and there is a lot of stuff on screen.
This is the way I would expect it to behave on my other monitor as well, but there it seems capped at a low 22-23 FPS for some reason

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It's quite strange that this GPU would be unable to display game at 60 fps.

I'm not sure looking at the log but please check if there is a newer driver for your GPU.
Alternatively you can try to reduce game quality - that GPU should have plenty of VRAM but might be worth checking.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

A machine with these specs can run hands down anything but the biggest mega factories before beginning to slow down. There must be something else.

BluBBa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BluBBa »

Have you tried disableing the Windows Defender realtime scanning? I know it's active on default on Windows 10 and I achieved a noticeable boost in FPS when disableing it.

punchkid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by punchkid »

I turned off smoke and now I'm getting 60 fps no problems on my second monitor even when there is a lot going on, if I move the game over to my main monitor, it is still locked at 24 fps for some reason.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Can you turn off G-sync for Factorio?

1234tv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 1234tv »

I have the same problem, with almost identical hardware (second screen is 1080p). The game was running at 60fps until I installed the new Windows Insider Preview (build 14342) today. Now the game is running at 22 +- 1fps. Disabling G-sync and reducing the quality in game did not help. Putting the game on my second screen fixed the fps issue. But why play on a 21 inch monitor if you have a 27 inch. ;)

Until now the screen selection in game was mixed up as above, but somehow it now matches the Windows settings.

1234tv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 1234tv »

One day later it's proven once again: "did you try turning it off and on again"...
For some reason, restarting the PC fixed it, but two people with almost identical machines having the same issue feels like there is a bug hiding somewhere.

Quazil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quazil »

You said 'best monitor' - what is the difference in resolution et. al. between the monitors?
What graphics card do you have?

It sounds like you are getting less than 60 fps rendering on the main monitor and vsync is on so you're dropping to a common-denominator.
Try turning v-sync (and g-sync) off.

Return to “Technical Help”