Game Wont start - Roaming

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
jacobw1ooo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Game Wont start - Roaming

Post by jacobw1ooo »

I have three installations of Factorio, 0.11.22 , experimental 0.12.11, and steam 0.12.26. the first two are heavily modded and experimental have an amazing update where it does not use roaming. So why does the steam version of factorio use roaming. My issue i have to change roaming every time i want to play a different version Factorio between 0.11.22 and steam. This would be a minor issue if at one point it was has not already been fixed. if you have normal Factorio and you have steam Factorio they are incompable so to fix this the user must go into roaming and rename or delete the Factorio folder so that the other can properly load. i know the reason that steam 0.12.26 can't load is because of the mods from 0.11.22.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Game Wont start - Roaming

Post by Koub »

Actually, if you have the "zip file" version of the game, it is standalone and does not use %APPDATA%\Roaming\Factorio folder. If you have the installer or the Steam version however, it does use it.

You have, in your Factorio directory, a file named config-path.cfg

The text inside is :

Code: Select all

config-path=__PATH__system-write-data__/config

#This value specifies the way the aplication generates default values for path.read-data and path.write-data
#When set to true, it will use system directories (Users/Name/AppData/Roaming/Factorio on windows), this is set to true
#for the installer versions of Factorio, as people will usualy install it in program files, and the aplication can't write
#to program files by default (without UAC turned off), similar with osx/linux packages.
#When set to false (default value for zip package), it will use application root directory, this is usable to create self-sustainable
#Factorio directory that can be copied anywhere needed (on usb etc), also for people, who don't like to manipulate saves
#in the windows users directory structure (as me, kovarex).
#Note, that once the values in config are generated, this value has no effects (unless you delete config, or the path.read-data/path.write-data values)
use-system-read-write-data-directories=true
It's what you are looking for to change that default behaviour.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

jacobw1ooo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jacobw1ooo »

Thanks for the help, it worked. that make sense why by default, roaming is used for the normal consumer, for people who don't deal with roaming or folder permission. i am on windows but for linux the chmod 777

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Copy config-path.cfg from your 0.12.11 to 0.11.22, Steam may overwrite the file to its original value.

Return to “Technical Help”