Steam multiplayer?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
wad67
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Steam multiplayer?

Post by wad67 »

My friend recently just bought factorio via steam early access.
I'd like to help him out as he only has 30 hours under his belt.

Unfortunately we cannot get multiplayer to work.

Hamachi does not work.

Port forwarding is not possible.

How do we get multiplayer to work?

As a side note, I have had this game for a long time now. I have never been able to play multiplayer either.

He'd like to get a refund as multiplayer is broken, but steam won't let him because he has too many hours.
What a joke.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Steam multiplayer?

Post by daniel34 »

Why is port forwarding not possible for both of you (only the host has to forward)?
While I am a fan of "vanilla" multiplayer (without Hamachi/Evolve), why does Hamachi not work and did you try it using Evolve? (https://www.evolvehq.com)

For 0.13 the multiplayer will be improved with a server browser and/or matchmaking service, which will make it easier to play multiplayer.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

wad67
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wad67 »

I asked some questions on the IRC and I was met with quite rude people.

I'm not recommending this game to anyone now.

I shouldn't have to use third party software to get multiplayer to work.

I'm going to get a refund and pirate this game from now on.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

wad67 wrote:I asked some questions on the IRC and I was met with quite rude people.

< wad67> Could the devs please remove the multiplayer tags from their steam page? That is a falsehood.
< wad67> Case in point, my friend purchased it. Can't play multiplayer, can't get his money back. False advertising.
< wad67> They should at least put up a warning saying it's a broken p2p system.
< wad67> I'm not going to solicit you with a response from this point.
< wad67> You people are a disgrace. I'm going to go and jump off a bridge. I hope you are happy.
And what kind of reaction were you trying to provoke with these statements?
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Tankh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tankh »

wad67 wrote:I'm going to get a refund and pirate this game from now on.
http://i.imgur.com/WHQGqJf.jpg

GeordieSmith
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GeordieSmith »

[Moderated by Koub] There will be nothing close to personal attacks

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

wad67 wrote:I asked some questions on the IRC and I was met with quite rude people.

You should just stop freaking out, this game was just barley released for steam and the single player is super fun, just be patient. IF you want to see a multiplayer only game where the multiplayer sucks which will never get better (this game's multiplayer will get better) go look at the castle doctrine game, it is now dead, there are at most like 5 people playing and they all cheat so ya. (i dont recommend it at all, just buy this game again for 5 more dollars XD)

xamoel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xamoel »

Might I ask how I should play MP via Steam atm?

Tunngle doesn't work, should i connect to my friend's WAN IP directly?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

At the moment, multiplayer works decently, even if it still a little oldschool. LAN is straightforward to setup. Over the Internet needs indeed the use of public IP address and port forwarding on the router.
Most solutions of private virtual network I've heard of seem to work though. Can't tell much more unfortunately, I don't play multi :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Linkan420
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Linkan420 »

Man i don't know how the hell u can't get MP on Factorio to work!

I love this game and I'm having so much fun with my friends and I think the devolopers have done a great job with their game aswell fixed problems and lags. Sure that it was kind of unstable in the beginning but that is something u have to accept on a early acces game, and it still is! And when you fail to fix and play multiplayer that was the easiest i ever had to do with hamachi and start to say it nothing to have, just begging for that refound and saying useless mean things like its nothing to have and just pirate download it instead in the forum with all the hard working devs is just low man! you don't deserv a refound! And Because your problem with multiplayer is amazing when you even naming port forwarding! Thats like the next level of multiplayer when you like hosting a big server! So i think you dont know what the f you doing and thats why u can't connect with hamachi for exampel.

@wad67

Maverick
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Maverick »

I'm about 45 hours in with 5 of my friends via multiplayer. We also had trouble getting a server launched, but after about 30 mins of looking through the wiki and using google we got it working. My solution was to open a port via my router, then find my IP address with google. We have had zero lag and played with 5-6 people at times. (actually it lags a bit when you have 1000's of biters chasing you, but what can you expect).

Another solution for you and your friend is to set up a dedicated server. Check out the partners link on the main website.

I hope some of this information helps.... mainly don't give up, because all 5 of my friends of us have said this is the most fun we have had in years!! Good luck!

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

Maverick wrote:I'm about 45 hours in with 5 of my friends via multiplayer. We also had trouble getting a server launched, but after about 30 mins of looking through the wiki and using google we got it working. My solution was to open a port via my router, then find my IP address with google. We have had zero lag and played with 5-6 people at times. (actually it lags a bit when you have 1000's of biters chasing you, but what can you expect).

Another solution for you and your friend is to set up a dedicated server. Check out the partners link on the main website.

I hope some of this information helps.... mainly don't give up, because all 5 of my friends of us have said this is the most fun we have had in years!! Good luck!
Hey thanks when i convince my friend to get this game we will do that XD.

majorwitty
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by majorwitty »

I bought five copies the past week from Steam. We play 3 to 5 person mutli-player without issues. Your issue is probably with network connectivity and not the game itself. I suspect most issues would be with getting your public IP address and port properly forwarded to the server.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

it took me a while but i was finally able to get the multiplayer up and running XD

daf4ever
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by daf4ever »

Hahahahaha

Dude man.. i have the same Issue with Factorio.. Port is open/both Firewalls are turned off... im a network technician for 15 years... and this shitty game still wont work multiplayer

Any other games work fine (left 4 dead where you need to open ports too)

We even tried Evolve... but on Evolve my friend keeps getting disconnects before he can even download the map

Really guys.. fix this shit

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

0.13 will improve the way you connect to other players ;) keep an eye on the FFF's it may give a preview of that system

daf4ever
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by daf4ever »

Finally it seems I got Factorio to work in multiplayer.. the only problem now is that my friend has different mods then I do but thats no issue..

my problem was: my internet provider (cablecom) has given me a Modem that acts as Router - and there the port was closed on the router. I googled how to login to my service provider's Router (not modem like it used to be) and did a port forwardr directly to my computer, bypassing my Router that I usually have hooked up.

So I am sorry that I said fix this shitty game... the problem was all on my internet provider who blocked it on their Router.

wad67
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wad67 »

Just going to necro this thread rather than make another one as I'm still unable to get multiplayer working.

My friend and I, seeing as how we were unable to refund decided to take another crack at multiplayer. This time we managed to get it working over LAN, It was mostly playable and we managed to do most of the achievements before we had to part ways.
Few days later, we attempted to play via the net, could not get it to work.
Tried more or less the same methods in the OP. As well as port forwarding, disabling firewalls, and setting up a dedicated server.
Should also be noted that we are both on completely different networks and hardware since the OP.
Every attempt was met with failure, we could ping one another's IP just fine. But could not connect to one another.

Decided to just try and find a server we could both play on, After about 20 minutes of clicking on potential servers and waiting for the latency to show up we simply decided to call it a night as we could not find a server under 300ms.

I'm not even sure what to say at this point, I'm happy we could at least play multiplayer locally but I'm still quite dismayed that we cannot get multiplayer over the net to work.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

tbh I'm quite equally dismayed the problems you encounter knowing the thousands (maybe even 10s of thousands) people playing regularly multiplayer without needing a phd in networking. There must be something extremely specific with your network, the only thing is to figure what.
Unfortunately, I'm not at all a multiplayer guy, so I won't be the one who'll be able to provide help, but I'm sure some kind of network guru will find :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

wad67 wrote:Just going to necro this thread rather than make another one as I'm still unable to get multiplayer working.

My friend and I, seeing as how we were unable to refund decided to take another crack at multiplayer. This time we managed to get it working over LAN, It was mostly playable and we managed to do most of the achievements before we had to part ways.
Few days later, we attempted to play via the net, could not get it to work.
Tried more or less the same methods in the OP. As well as port forwarding, disabling firewalls, and setting up a dedicated server.
Should also be noted that we are both on completely different networks and hardware since the OP.
Every attempt was met with failure, we could ping one another's IP just fine. But could not connect to one another.

Decided to just try and find a server we could both play on, After about 20 minutes of clicking on potential servers and waiting for the latency to show up we simply decided to call it a night as we could not find a server under 300ms.

I'm not even sure what to say at this point, I'm happy we could at least play multiplayer locally but I'm still quite dismayed that we cannot get multiplayer over the net to work.
I'm from Australia and I've played on multiplayer servers located in Europe with pings around 250ms, and most of the time that sort of latency is unnoticable, especially if you are busy building factories. Lag seems to only be noticeable during combat, and when nearby trains come whizzing past.

I'm also not a network gugu, but I have some basic knowledge. But there is no way we can help diagnose your problem without more detailed info. If you want help I suggest posting your logs from both computers, (and from the dedicated server, if you are trying to use one). Maybe someone will be able to spot why things aren't working from the logs.

Return to “Technical Help”