Constant Desync on Join (increasing map size)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Constant Desync on Join (increasing map size)

Post by cbrx »

So, I've been playing factorio for a while and the multiplayer has mostly been running fine. However, lately, we've been playing with the "shadows combopack" modpack and kept runnining into this very annoying issue.
When we started the game, it worked all fine, but with increasing map size, at some point, whenever someone would try to connect, he would get stuck in a constant desync loop and multiplayer will be unplayable for us. This happens, if the game is hosted locally on any of the two player's computers, as well as when the game is hosted on an external server.

I've attached an example desync log
Is there any way to fix this behaviour?
The game is completely unplayable like this.
Attachments
log.txt
Example Desync Log
(17.71 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Constant Desync on Join (increasing map size)

Post by Loewchen »

Could you upload the complete Desync Report (should be in the archive folder, either in your installation directory or somewhere here: C:/Users/user1/AppData/Roaming/Factorio) somewhere publicly accessible like dropbox or googleDrive. Thx.

Some things to try:
  • make sure you removed all unused mods from the mod-folder and don't just deactivate them inside of factorio.
  • or better copy the folder of one of the players to the other and the server to make sure they are completely identical.
it might be a bug in one of the mods or the main game, in that case there is not much you can do...

Greetings, Loewchen

cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cbrx »

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I attached a version of the debug log in the post above, but here's a link to another desync log from trying to connect in the same setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c2d2fg9yls5od1/log.txt?dl=0

We have already tried
- Running the server on the other's pc and an external server
- Compared modpacks (obviously no mod conflicts per se, since it was working fine for 20 hours...)
- Changed the possible server latency
- Exchanged the savegame before starting
- Throw out mods we don't need and that are not too deeply integrated in the mod pack

I assume, if it was a bug in a modpack, this should have been notable from the start.
I'm running out of ideas on how to solve this, and until then, there is no way to even play Factorio...

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Loewchen wrote:Could you upload the complete Desync Report (should be in the archive folder, either in your installation directory or somewhere here: C:/Users/user1/AppData/Roaming/Factorio) somewhere publicly accessible like dropbox or googleDrive. Thx.
cbrx wrote:I attached a version of the debug log in the post above, but here's a link to another desync log from trying to connect in the same setup.
That is not what I meant, when a desync is detected a .zip file gets created with the map-save and some additional information. The file looks like this: desync-report-2016-02-03-12-41-22.zip, and it is in the archive folder in one of the above mentioned locations.
cbrx wrote:I assume, if it was a bug in a modpack, this should have been notable from the start.
The way I understand it is, that the game will detect a desync when the map-updates don't have the same hash or don't result in identical map hashes when applied. We had desyncs caused by mods to happen beyond the 100h mark because they did not have an affect before.

Generally, the time the desync is detected is not the earliest time the game is not synchronous any more, but just the time the game found out about it ;)

cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cbrx »

Ah, I see. I uploaded the copy of an example of me trying to connect to the server running externally and getting the desync issue to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/91ls44mugc9z0 ... 3.zip?dl=0

I assume it could also have to do with certain research unlocking new technology, since I assume the game will only load entities for certain technology when it is actually available. I don't know the game's behaviour well enough to judge that though.

Fug1t1v3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fug1t1v3 »

We had the same issue with ShadowsComboPack 0.12.20 after 35+ hours of gameplay

Disabling Misanthrope_0.0.5 mod fixed the problem

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I found some strange discrepancies from YARM and from the Misanthrope-mod but the YARM stuff might be unrelated as this should not affect the map, I would try without those and see if it works. FYI you can remove mods as you like and still be able to start the old save without problem, the game will just remove mod items and entities. As always I advise to not deactivate any mods but to actually remove them!

Good luck -Loewchen

cbrx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cbrx »

Thanks a lot Fug1t1v3 and Loewchen, removing Misanthrope mode actually seemed to fix the issue.
An older version of the map works with just updating Misanthrope to 0.2.2, the current version of the map does not though.
I will report that to the respective mod author, at least the basic desyncs from the early versions seem to be fixed ;)

Return to “Technical Help”