Able to connect, then unable

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
krausr79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Able to connect, then unable

Post by krausr79 »

We were playing multiplayer today and their modem was going bad. The game was lagging and Skype was autotuning me. So she restarted her modem. After that, neither of us was able to connect to the other under any circumstance. We were playing Dytech modded 12.10 at the time. Here's the things we tried:

Them buying a new modem (they needed to do this anyways)
Both of us as the host and the other connecting
Both of us re-checking our port forwarding
Both of us trying without mods
Both of us trying the latest version
Trying both loaded and newly generated games
Trying with both peer-to-peer and 'normal'
rechecking our IP addresses

What could have caused the game to go from able to connect every time to not being able to connect at all???

cjburkey01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Able to connect, then unable

Post by cjburkey01 »

Was Skype working after the modem reboot? If not, then it's her internet, if everything else works on her end, then it would be Factorio failing.
Proud owner of a worthless website: http://cjburkey.com

krausr79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krausr79 »

Yes, Skype was working at all times, and sound quality was restored after the new modem.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Were you using logmein Hammachi to create a peer-to-peer network?
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

krausr79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krausr79 »

We were not using any sort of network simulator. We used to play without peer to peer but tried it as an option when we couldn't get anything working. I'm starting to wornder if neither of us has the port forwarding set up correctly. Does only the host need port forwarding?

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

krausr79 wrote:We were not using any sort of network simulator. We used to play without peer to peer but tried it as an option when we couldn't get anything working. I'm starting to wornder if neither of us has the port forwarding set up correctly. Does only the host need port forwarding?
Easier than port-forwarding is to enable UpNp in your modem settings. If you have that enabled, Factorio should do a Nat-punchthrough and it would work out of the box.

krausr79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by krausr79 »

Their modem does have UPNP enabled. We also tried using IPV6 addresses now, but neither worked. We tried Hamachi. They were not able to connect to my network. I was able to connect to their network. Once we did so, we were not able to connect to each other's hamachi-given IP addresses for factorio. They tried connecting to my regular IP address then, and we got an actual connection! Yay! I am still not able to connect to a game they host. Once we made the connection, we did not actually need hamachi anymore. During this evening's attempts, he was not entering any :34197 during his attempts pre-hamachi, so we don't know if hamachi dislodged something or if it would have worked earlier in the evening. During our attempts to connect last time around, we were always adding a port number so it legitimately didn't work before.

It's still true that I can't connect to their games, so I'd say an unsolved problem remains but as my sister said any way of playing factorio at all is a 99% solution vs no connection.

Return to “Technical Help”