Physics/Game Engine Slowing Down?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Physics/Game Engine Slowing Down?

Post by TuckJohn »

I have noticed when factorio has to do a lot of calculations(like when raiding a large biter base with lots of destroyer drones), the speed of the "game engine" slows down. Is there any way to see the current speed? And, in addition, how can it be sped up?

I ask because I have a large base whose world I THINK is stating to slow down (walk speed slow, slower assembler speeds and animations, car is slower).
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Physics/Game Engine Slowing Down?

Post by Kewlhotrod »

fps is tired to the ticks, unsure of the technical details of how the game engine works but to see the fps if you press F4 and select an option

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

no, you need to look at the ups. fps is only the amount of times per second your gpu makes a frame
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved from General.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

kinnom wrote:no, you need to look at the ups. fps is only the amount of times per second your gpu makes a frame
So what value should I want the ups to be? And is there any way to increase it short of optimizing the factory ? I am already on a 64 bit program.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

TuckJohn wrote:
kinnom wrote:no, you need to look at the ups. fps is only the amount of times per second your gpu makes a frame
So what value should I want the ups to be?
60 UPS is the normal value.
TuckJohn wrote: And is there any way to increase it short of optimizing the factory ? I am already on a 64 bit program.
Short of optimising the factory, you can buy a faster computer or wait for a future version and hope we'll optimise it some more.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Oxyd wrote:
TuckJohn wrote: And is there any way to increase it short of optimizing the factory ? I am already on a 64 bit program.
Short of optimising the factory, you can buy a faster computer or wait for a future version and hope we'll optimize it some more.
I just explored really far north(Like REALLY far- 40 minutes in a car of traveling) and when I got back to my factory everything was really slow. Are all of those biters and bases that were generated loaded and causing lag? and, If so, How can I "delete" that part of the map?

Return to “Technical Help”