Cannot install Factorio

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mineus64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cannot install Factorio

Post by mineus64 »

I downloaded the Linux version, since the Windows version won't run properly and nobody seems to want to help me resolve that issue. Whenever I try to run the installer with "[home directory]/Downloads/Linux-x64-x86/factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16", it returns the following:
"bash: [home directory]Downloads/Linux-x64-x86/factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error"
I have already given it execute permission, so what's going on?

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Cannot install Factorio

Post by joon »

You have to extract it first. Then you go into the folder "factorio/bin/i386/ and double click Factorio and this should start the game.

mineus64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mineus64 »

Jhonny wrote:You have to extract it first. Then you go into the folder "factorio/bin/i386/ and double click Factorio and this should start the game.
I extract the file "factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16" and get a file called "factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16", which gives me that error whenever I try to do anything with it.
EDIT: When I try to open the file with Archive Manager it tells me "Archive type not supported"

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

mineus64 wrote:I extract the file "factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16" and get a file called "factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16", which gives me that error whenever I try to do anything with it.
How did you extract it? The file you downloaded is supposed to be a gzipped tarball, the .tar.gz ending must have been gotten lost somehow. You can use "file" on the file to see what you're looking at.

Code: Select all

$ file factorio_alpha_x64_0.8.8.tar.gz 
factorio_alpha_x64_0.8.8.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, last modified: Thu Jan  9 15:44:12 2014, from Unix
If you already ran gunzip on it you're left with a plain tarball and just need to tar xf it.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

mineus64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mineus64 »

prg wrote:
mineus64 wrote:I extract the file "factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16" and get a file called "factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16", which gives me that error whenever I try to do anything with it.
How did you extract it? The file you downloaded is supposed to be a gzipped tarball, the .tar.gz ending must have been gotten lost somehow. You can use "file" on the file to see what you're looking at.

$ file factorio_alpha_x64_0.8.8.tar.gz 
factorio_alpha_x64_0.8.8.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, last modified: Thu Jan  9 15:44:12 2014, from Unix
If you already ran gunzip on it you're left with a plain tarball and just need to tar xf it.
I'm not very good with tar commands, sorry. How would I go about doing that?

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

mineus64 wrote:I'm not very good with tar commands, sorry. How would I go about doing that?
What's the output of "file" for that file? If it's "POSIX tar archive", you just run

tar xf factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

mineus64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mineus64 »

prg wrote:
mineus64 wrote:I'm not very good with tar commands, sorry. How would I go about doing that?
What's the output of "file" for that file? If it's "POSIX tar archive", you just run

tar xf factorio_alpha_i386_0.12.16
Tried that. The terminal sat there without outputting anything for a little while, then gave me the standard command prompt thing again. I tried opening the file. No dice.

mineus64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mineus64 »

FIXED!
I just added .tar.gz after the filename. It works now. Thanks for helping!

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

mineus64 wrote:Tried that. The terminal sat there without outputting anything for a little while, then gave me the standard command prompt thing again. I tried opening the file. No dice.
This already created a new directory containing the game, it didn't modify the file itself, so
mineus64 wrote:FIXED!
I just added .tar.gz after the filename. It works now. Thanks for helping!
wasn't necessary after that anymore. But... glad it works now for you.

Return to “Technical Help”