[0.12.8, Linux] Factorio puts heavy load on cpu [SOLVED]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
p_implies_q
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.12.8, Linux] Factorio puts heavy load on cpu [SOLVED]

Post by p_implies_q »

Hello all,

I am running factorio on an up-to-date Arch linux on a desktop PC (for gaming) which I assembled only last week. Whenever factorio starts up it uses about 80% of all the cycles on all 4 cores (noticed it by the cooling fans all spinning up, then verified it in htop), it then keeps on using the same amount of power while simply sitting in the menu. This happened both under xmonad and Gnome-3. Anyone have an idea what's going on? Let me know if you need more specs.
Last edited by p_implies_q on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.12.8, Linux] Factorio puts heavy load on cpu

Post by Oxyd »

This might get resolved in 0.12.9, hopefully. Basically, the main menu isn't FPS-limited currently, so .9 will come with an FPS limiter for the menu.

p_implies_q
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by p_implies_q »

Thanks! I didn't even consider trying to start a game. In a new game CPU usage is down to about 50% on all 4 cores. This still feels like a lot for a game that is paused though.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

You installed drivers for your GPU and are not using something like llvmpipe, right? Check the "Initialised OpenGL:" line in the log or terminal output.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

p_implies_q
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by p_implies_q »

Hah, you were right! I installed the nvidia-package but forgot to install the corresponding libgl... I feel like a right dunce..

Anyways, thanks for the fast help!

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.8, Linux] Factorio puts heavy load on cpu [SOLVED]

Post by bobucles »

There was an issue of video cards overheating and crashing because a scene was SO simple they could run entirely in cache, thus removing the idle cycles the GPU needed to stay cool.

Frame rate has to be capped for the good of these cards that live on the EDGE.

Return to “Technical Help”