Multiplayer placing items - stuttering.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Multiplayer placing items - stuttering.

Post by billw »

I host and one other person joins.
Mod list
I have 10Mb/s up and 40 down, he also has good internet. Initially we played with <100ms latency setting, but after maybe 16 hrs we are using 1000ms and still getting massive stuttering when placing items. What is weird is sometimes there is non, sometimes it is unplayable (0.5 to 1 second freeze for every placement, when you are stamping out a large template that is really bad).

Is there any way to work out what is causing this issue?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multiplayer placing items - stuttering.

Post by DaveMcW »

The "latency hiding" feature is still a bit buggy. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=14066

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

DaveMcW wrote:The "latency hiding" feature is still a bit buggy. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=14066
Sorry I didn't describe correctly, the entire simulation stops, it isn't just position jumping back and forth like when running and repairing it is the entire game freezing up for 0.5 - 1 second at a time every time an item is placed on both clients. Like I said sometimes it is fine other times it is really bad.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

You should be able to tell if it's the network that's causing it.

Assuming you are using windows, open a command prompt, and start a ping:

Code: Select all

ping -t theipofyourfriend
The -t will make it run until you close the window, or hit ctrl-c.
For each ping, it gives the round trip time.

Start factorio and play with your friend. If it starts lagging bad, alt-tab to the ping window and see if your round trip times have increased much.

If the round trip times are really high, then it's network related. If the round trip times are still reasonable (near what they were when it was running smooth), then it's not the network. It's one of the computers can't keep up.

Return to “Technical Help”