[1.1.109] Screen flickering till complete Freeze (Not V-Sync)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ss_Baum
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.109] Screen flickering till complete Freeze (Not V-Sync)

Post by ss_Baum »

Hi everyone,

After a longer time I came back to factorio again with a newer laptop.
While playing, my screen sometimes shows falsly rendered frames, like at the old TVs with the stripes.
That goes on for some time till, after around 20 minutes The game freezes and gets stuck with one of those bad images.
It completely Freezes the screen, no reactions to ESC, CTRL-ALT-DEL or anything else.
Closing the Lid and opening it back up results in a black screen.
Windows also doestn't recognize the screen anymore till restart of the laptop. It shows in the Display options the Screen, but with no resolution and says it's deactivated.
But weirdly enough, I don't find any eventlogs regarding a fault and after the Device manager my screen is fine.

I tried multiple ways of solfing it.
Reducing the refresh rate to 40HZ seems to work, but the game runs too choppy then, especially with faster movement. I feel like it only displays 20FPS at this refresh rate, cause I know it's definitly not 30 or 40.
Reducing the resolution seems to help, but It just doesn't do the game right. You know how bad it can look if the game resolution doesn't match the screen resolution.
V-sync and a bunch of other tries with the NVIDEA System controls also didn't improve the issue sadly.

I have a Erazer beast X30 Laptop from Medion
those are the specs:
  • Windows 11
  • Nvidea geforce RTX 3080 Ti
  • 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900HK 2.50 GHz
  • RAM: 64,0 GB
  • Screen: 2560 *1440 (165HZ/40HZ)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F4fCvov5ug7UnP5x6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Rg7AQUVeCbRRwbT7

In the video you can see two faulty displayed frames, that was right before it froze
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JUffrnLXRQxFSX7Y7

Thanks for your time and responses.

Edt:
I'm not sure why, but going from full screen to window mode for Factorio completely sloves the issue.
Would still be nice if the Developers can figure out what happens there, so I'll leave the post up.

Locane
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.109] Screen flickering till complete Freeze (Not V-Sync)

Post by Locane »

This is definitely a hardware issue - I see from your photos you're using an external monitor?

The picture of the distortion you're seeing is something wrong with the embedded graphics card hitting the screen on your laptop. You have a bad unit.

Something internal to your laptop is getting confused and screwing up the rendering - that's why swapping from full screen to windowed mode solved your issue.

I'd say update your drivers but I assume you've already done that...

ss_Baum
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ss_Baum »

Yeah, I did that already.
I don't think it's a hardware issue, cause I don't have this kind of issue with any other game, like Cyberpunk and so on.

I also forced it to use the internal Intel graphics card instead of the Nvidia card, but got the exact same result.

How I mentioned at the edit I get the issue seemingly only in Fullscreen, not in window mode.

I did forget to mention that I don't have the issue on the external monitor, only on my laptop monitor.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

In my very limited and anecdotal experience, I have only seen artefacts like this on a GPU close to its deathbed.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

ss_Baum
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ss_Baum »

Alright, thanks. I'll keep an I on the GPU, maybe I can find a hardware issue.

But till now I didn't find anything in the device manager or the windows event log's. There isn't even a fault message or anything for the disabled monitor.

Return to “Technical Help”