[1.1.101] Cloud Error: Unable to sync game with Steam Cloud storage

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Marco3104
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.101] Cloud Error: Unable to sync game with Steam Cloud storage

Post by Marco3104 »

Description
First of all, I am not sure which support I have to contact (Steam or Factorio) since it's a Steam cloud sync error. I decided to try to get help from Factorio first since cloud syncing works fine for other games.

What did you do?
I played SE with a lot of mods. Since SE files can get very large and my upload is very slow, I decided to turn off Steam cloud, so I no longer have to wait for my files to be backed up and I can close Steam faster.
After I finished my run and started a new run with no mods, I decided to enable Steam cloud sync again.

What happened?
Every time the sync process starts automatically (e.g., when I start Steam or when I close Factorio) or manually, I get an error message that Steam was not able to sync and I should try again, which results in an endless loop.

What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
I tried these things to get it to work to no avail:

- I removed all save files from the save file folder and tried to sync. It didn’t work.
- I followed a guide I found online to delete all files in my Steam cloud, so I could try to resync and hope that it works.
- I changed the game version.
- I turned the Blueprint cloud sync (in-game option) on and off.

Does it happen always, once, or sometimes?
Always:

- It happens as soon as I start Steam (it automatically tries to sync).
- It happens as soon as I close Factorio (automatically).
- When I press the cloud icon in Steam to try again (manually).
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(16.82 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Marco3104
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.101] Cloud Error: Unable to sync game with Steam Cloud storage

Post by Marco3104 »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:19 am
Leave the beta release branch.
Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't think about the beta versions.

So I left the beta release branch. To do this, I (please tell me if I did anything wrong):

- Opened my Steam library
- Right-clicked Factorio -> Properties...
- Opened the Beta tab
- Set the Beta participation to "None"
- The game updated to version [1.1.107] (build 62234, win64)

Then I started the sync manually, and the error still appeared. I also started and closed the game for it to automatically start the syncing process.
The error still prevails.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

A steam sync error is something you'll have to talk to steam about. We don't control or have any impact on if steam successfully syncs things to/from the internet.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Marco3104
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marco3104 »

So, I informed Steam support about this problem and got this (summarized) response:

The error occurred because the cloud file size was too large for a single save file, so Steam didn't allow it to be uploaded.

The friendly Steam supporter provided an "unsupported" guide to reset my Steam cloud storage for Factorio. Afterward, I asked the supporter if he could tell me the maximum allowed file size so I could try to prevent this error from occurring in the future. He told me that:

The allotted cloud storage and limit is game dependent. This means the developers of each game set their preferred cloud storage limit for their games.

Therefore, I pass the question now to you: What is the maximum file size allowed for uploading?

Two things I want to point out:

1. After the reset, I could sync almost all my save files to the cloud. The only one that still isn't working is the biggest save file (578MB, SE+K2). But Steam doesn't throw a cloud error anymore, so that's fine for me.
2.When I open the properties of the game, I can see that "235.63 MB stored / 23.05GB available," so I should have enough space for the save file. Before my reset the allocated cloud space was around 1.9 GB.

I wrote all this just for your information and because I am curious about the set limit. Hopefully, I didn't misunderstand the statement from Steam support and reproduced everything correctly.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That sounds like they gave you one line and you're interpreting it as another. If they said "the cloud file size was too large for a single save file" that means they rejected the 500 MB file because it was too large. They then said "The allotted cloud storage and limit is game dependent." but that is a completely different thing. "allotted cloud storage" is the total size of all saves not a specific one.

We can set the "total size of all files" which we do (to 23~ GB it looks like). We have no control over the max single file size allowed. That's on steams end. It looks like they gave the wrong answer to your question.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I'm not sure if this is correct/accurate, but this page (I think) is saying an individual file size limit of 256 MB.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/cloud
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Return to “Technical Help”