[1.1.104]Crash after cancelling technology research.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
giantmechahamham
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.104]Crash after cancelling technology research.

Post by giantmechahamham »

I can count the number of times Factorio has actually crashed on me since the .16 series on three fingers.

I'd just finished setting up some blue circuit production and rerouting some copper supply belts to better accommodate it when I noticed research on Logistics Network wasn't progressing. I didn't have Yellow science set up, obviously, since it requires blue circuits. I cancelled it, selected some other techs, and then I received the crash notification.

The only mod I was using was Inserter Fuel Leech, and I don't think I actually have anything leeching fuel since I got switched over to electric ovens.

Log and associated saves are attached.
Attachments
_autosave1.zip
Last autosave, I think immediately before the tech switch.
(6.86 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Factory 2.zip
Last manual save.
(6.8 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Factory 2.tmp.zip
This looks to be corrupt.
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
factorio-previous.log
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.104]Crash after cancelling technology research.

Post by Rseding91 »

Do you have any way to reproduce this crash? Looking at the log, I've seen this crash in the crash reports before but it has nothing to do with research. It also makes zero sense that it should ever crash where it crashed unless something has corrupted memory (either bad code we wrote by mistake or failing hardware).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

giantmechahamham
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Do you have any way to reproduce this crash?
Sadly, no. I got the autosave to successfully load and played through the same exact spot that crashed, making almost the same choices, but didn't encounter it again. I'd hoped to make a better 'steps to reproduce' post after doing that. My apologies!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Based off the crash I doubt you will find steps to reproduce. My suspicion is you had a random bit flip and or your RAM is going bad. Are you having any other issues with other games/programs? What does running https://www.memtest.org/ show?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

giantmechahamham
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:18 pm
Based off the crash I doubt you will find steps to reproduce. My suspicion is you had a random bit flip and or your RAM is going bad. Are you having any other issues with other games/programs? What does running https://www.memtest.org/ show?
If anyone else was to tell me, 'Maybe you've got some bad memory', I'd be skeptical. When Rseding tells me maybe I've got some bad RAM, I think, 'Oh shit. Better check that out. Sure enough, Memtest86+ did indeed find a single bit error on one of my dimms. YIKES!

First of all, damn good catch, sir! Your already 'Legendary' troubleshooting ability has risen to 'Mythical' in my estimation.

Second, hows that for value add to my purchase price for Factorio?! Just straight up diagnose my hardware problems for me from a crash report. Seriously, you and the rest of the Wube team have earned that fee over and over again. I cannot WAIT to plunk down my money for the new expansion. You guys have earned and re-earned that so many times it's ridiculous. You're among if not THE best in the business.

Return to “Technical Help”