[1.1.104] Factorio crashes on laptop when not connected to external display

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Papawuski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.104] Factorio crashes on laptop when not connected to external display

Post by Papawuski »

I have a framework 16 laptop which has has an AMD APU and a GPU. The AMD drivers swaps between the APU and GPU when trying to launch factorio. From what I've noticed, Factorio crashes every time I try to launch the game with an unexpected error (see attached previous log). If I connect the laptop to my external display, then Factorio consistently starts without issues (current log).

The troubleshooting I've already tried :

deleting all of APP ROAMING and disable steam cloud saves
reinstalling Factorio
reinstalling steam
tried setting it to high performance under graphics settings menu in windows settings

Any help with getting the game up and running without having to connect to an external display would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
factorio-current.log
When connected to external display
(5.49 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
factorio-previous.log
When running on laptop directly
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Papawuski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.104] Factorio crashes on laptop when not connected to external display

Post by Papawuski »

I tried the ddu tool and re-installed the driver from the manufacturer's drivers for the gpu.

I still have the same behavior where it does not run unless i plug into an external display first.
I attached the screenshots i got from the dxdiag tool and the current failing log.

If I disable the gpu in device managers, i am able to get the game running but its super laggy.

Not sure if this is the correct thing to do but if I go into the display settings and set factorio to use the onboard gpu (power saving) instead of the discrete one (performance), there is no crashing. That just sounds counter intuitive ?
Attachments
display 1 from dxdiag
display 1 from dxdiag
Screenshot 2024-03-17 182912.png (50.22 KiB) Viewed 262 times
display 2 from dxdiag
display 2 from dxdiag
Screenshot 2024-03-17 182919.png (42.27 KiB) Viewed 262 times
factorio-current.log
error log
(6.86 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.104] Factorio crashes on laptop when not connected to external display

Post by Rseding91 »

Did anything ever happen with this? Given the other people reporting the same issue and they seemed to get it working?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”