Game makes Displays Flash on and off, Eventualy Crashing my Computer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
L1ghtn1ngFlash2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game makes Displays Flash on and off, Eventualy Crashing my Computer

Post by L1ghtn1ngFlash2 »

Version [1.1.104]
I've been having this issue for a bit, and I've been able to band aid it occasionally, or the game decides to work, but the issue keeps coming back I'm hoping you smart people could help, I don't know what info you'll need, but ill give you anything short of my IP lol, Please help

The specific issue occurs every time I startup the game, the progress bar runs thru my mods and the once it hits Sprites it loses its mind, its not my mods as i manually disabled everything via Config, I also Uninstalled and reinstalled my Graphics drivers, Unseated, Cleaned, and Reseated my GPU, and ran windows Memory Tester, Nothing. here's my setup

Processor: AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~3650 Mhz
(yes this is straight from my System Info from CMD, i cant remember the name of it Specifically, Ryzen 5 i think)

GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 Super

Total Physical Memory: 32,717 MB
Available Physical Memory: 24,159 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 37,581 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 25,175 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 12,406 MB

Let me know what additional info you'll need to help.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(92.11 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
factorio-current.log
(204.75 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Game makes Displays Flash on and off, Eventualy Crashing my Computer

Post by Bilka »

Because the issue occurs during sprite loading, which is heavily multithreaded on the CPU, that makes me think something is wrong with your CPU. Driver issue, overheating, something like that. Or maybe it's drawing a lot of power and the PSU doesn't like that for some reason. A way to try whether that is the problem would be to start the game with the --single-thread-loading command line parameter. It will disable the multithreaded sprite loading. If that stops the issue then you know it's the multithreaded workload that is the problem.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

L1ghtn1ngFlash2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Bilka wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:08 am
Because the issue occurs during sprite loading, which is heavily multithreaded on the CPU, that makes me think something is wrong with your CPU. Driver issue, overheating, something like that. Or maybe it's drawing a lot of power and the PSU doesn't like that for some reason. A way to try whether that is the problem would be to start the game with the --single-thread-loading command line parameter. It will disable the multithreaded sprite loading. If that stops the issue then you know it's the multithreaded workload that is the problem.
Ive never used the command line, do i just paste in "--single-thread-loading" in steams advanced launcher settings? or is this command prompt?

L1ghtn1ngFlash2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Oh I'm in deep doo doo, I think my problem isn't just factorio, my whole system is having an aneurysm.
I took the time to reseat everything while waiting for my post to be approved i reaseated hard drives, CPU, GPU, RAM, Everything, not only did it not fix it, but I think my computer is dying, I know I did it all right, I'm not professional level, but I build my buddies computers all the time problem, but this, this is a doozy.

Non of my display ports are working, only hdmi, windows update is failing hard. Boot is giving me a black and white Error screen telling me to repair windows. But running CheckHealth comes up with nothing wrong, Ran DDU to see of its a driver problem, but even plug and play drivers won't send a sig to my DP monitor. I'm panicking (anxiety is heightened) and I'm screwed if I can figure this out (I can't play video games) unless you all are hardware wizards I'm gonna need to wad thru windows support.

L1ghtn1ngFlash2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

L1ghtn1ngFlash2 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:48 am
Oh I'm in deep doo doo, I think my problem isn't just factorio, my whole system is having an aneurysm.
I took the time to reseat everything while waiting for my post to be approved i reaseated hard drives, CPU, GPU, RAM, Everything, not only did it not fix it, but I think my computer is dying, I know I did it all right, I'm not professional level, but I build my buddies computers all the time problem, but this, this is a doozy.

Non of my display ports are working, only hdmi, windows update is failing hard. Boot is giving me a black and white Error screen telling me to repair windows. But running CheckHealth comes up with nothing wrong, Ran DDU to see of its a driver problem, but even plug and play drivers won't send a sig to my DP monitor. I'm panicking (anxiety is heightened) and I'm screwed if I can figure this out (I can't play video games) unless you all are hardware wizards I'm gonna need to wad thru windows support.
Okay DDU and reinstalling driver worked to fix monitor, but factorio still gives my computer an aneurysm.

L1ghtn1ngFlash2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Okay panic over, my computer is back, but --single-thread-loading didn't work.

L1ghtn1ngFlash2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Update: it's more than just factorio with this problem, helldivers 2, doom eternal and others I'm sure have the same issue. While monitoring hardware, there's no abnormal readings, just my display flashing off, coming back on to black, occasionally turning orange, windows are black with a white border, this is confusing, all My hardware is responding normally, I ran cinibench, normal, ran heaven gpu benchmark, normal, everything is normal until I play certain games

L1ghtn1ngFlash2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I just brute force fixed it by resetting my pc to factory, the problem is fixed

Return to “Technical Help”