[1.1.101] Trying to make chunk at unreasonable position (Space Exploration) | Game crashes when loading savegame

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Crimit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.101] Trying to make chunk at unreasonable position (Space Exploration) | Game crashes when loading savegame

Post by Crimit »

Hi all,

After a short hiatus I booted up our Space Exploration Multiplayer world again and all seemed fine.
I played for about 30 minutes, saved the game and closed Factorio, no crashes or anything.

But since yesterday, everytime I try to load the save or any of the three autosaves Factorio crashes with the following error message:
107.628 Error Chunk.cpp:701: Trying to make chunk at unreasonable position [-131216, 0]
The game will show the progress bar loading the save game but it will crash after reaching 100 %.

I cannot figure out what may cause this behavior, as everything seemed to work when I last saved the game and I didn't experience any crashes between saving and trying to load.
I have read on the forum that this is an issue with surface scanning, but I'm almost certain that I do not have any scans running at the time of saving.

I also sent the save to a friend and they also can't load into the game.

I have attached the log as well as the (rather large) save file, hoping someone can figure this out?
Is there some kind of save game editor I could use to delete any corrupted chunks or entities?

Thanks!
Crimit

SAVE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOZjuW ... sp=sharing
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(39.08 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.101] Trying to make chunk at unreasonable position (Space Exploration) | Game crashes when loading savegame

Post by Rseding91 »

Your computer had one or more memory bits flip randomly when they weren't supposed to. That's typically caused by failing and or bad RAM sticks. I recommend running this and seeing if it spots anything: https://www.memtest.org/

As for your save file; you can enable the hidden setting "enable-corrupt-position-recovery" in The Rest settings (temporarily) and it might be able to fix the flipped bits in the save file while loading.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Crimit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.101] Trying to make chunk at unreasonable position (Space Exploration) | Game crashes when loading savegame

Post by Crimit »

Rseding91, you are my HERO!

Just tried it with the setting enabled.
The world took a moment to load after the progress bar reached 100% but it loaded successfully!
Saved the world as a new save and now I am able to load with the setting turned off again.

I'll definitely run memtest, I've been having the occasional issue with my PC so that's worth looking into.

Thanks again for your help! :D

Edit: Ran memtest86 and found that one of my RAM sticks was very faulty and ordered replacement immediately.

Return to “Technical Help”