[1.1.101] GPU Performance issues

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.101] GPU Performance issues

Post by SpleT »

Got some performance issues and im getting to the point i kinda suspect its related to one of the later Factorio updates somehow.

Ive a pretty good gaming PC: Ryzen 5900x 3600mhz ddr4 low cache 64gb 3080TI OCed... when i hang above my mainbuss I get like 40 to 50 UPS... When I dont... stable 60 UPS... All settings off//low... it doesnt seem to matter much at all... only thing that matters is when i put threats for graphics to 1... then it drops to 30 :P. but 12 or 24 doesnt matter much at all...

Doesnt matter if i stream or not... My CPU is half asleep... my GPU is like 20% orso... with stream more but it just doesnt matter cause its under 100%... anyway...

Its not windows settings. prefer maximum performance and such things... ive been through all of it multiple times by now. Also been adding removing mods but doesnt seem to do much either

So I thought maybe a bandwidth issue? hmm i had a lot of crashes cause my 2nd M2 bad blocks. My bios resetted... so my memory was on 2133 mhz with stock latencies... i thought yey! I found the issue!! Or not... it doesnt matter much at all it seems... so its not memory not bandwidth not gpu... what is is then??? and then i found this post... thank god!! when i hang on a black screen it goes all fine but yeah... i cant build anything like that! I nearly always design all my factories by hand during a playthrough. that way they are always a bit different and i find that fun instead of brainless blueprinting. if i was a blueprint player i could place one and then go hide again on black but i cant!

A few years ago... I played nearly the same playthrough with the same mods on my old PC i7 4770K with 32 GB ram... and I was about the same progression as i currently am in my current playthrhough (actually now i think about it... I mightve build a lot bigger there compared to now simply due to experience being more efficient with Logistics and such....

So I was like should I buy a new PC then for DDR5... go for a 4090?? that cant be a thing right... this same thing ran okay on my pc from 2013 !!! what the... This same PC I also use for dancing in VRChat with VR high ress with 80 people in the world fullbody with live DJ streaming and DMX controlled lights n all that... topping my GPU and CPU and still having decent FPS... which was completely impossible on my 4770K with an 1080TI.... I got under 10 FPS there and nonstop crashes (its why i bought this one actually)

Anyway... I play on and off and my Map I always trim so it doesnt become huge and Factory isnt that big compared to before... also... i feel my overall entity count actually reduced due to upgrades with beacons and such compared to before and faster belts... and having more output simply due to production modules. It feels like it started all of a sudden. I really pray it is something with one of the latest updates to factorio...
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(50.4 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
factorio-current.log
(62.96 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.101] GPU Performance issues

Post by Tertius »

It's difficult to follow your post. What's your point?

The game can help you diagnose ingame issues:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Diag ... nce_issues

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

Apologies. My point is that my GPU is sleeping (nearly doing nothing) while my FPS drops insanely when hovering above something while hanging in a black screen all goes fine... with lowest settings i could set. Kinda the topic of this post :D

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

Ive looked into the debug options a bit but not with the WIKI besides it. its been years i did that for my last playthrough so Ill do that again. I looked at time usage of all thingies and didnt see any overly taxing thingies that jumped out like i had the last time i played with some badly uptimized mod back then... which made me think its something with GPU this time as it runs stable 60 not hanging above activity.

Ill post any findings soon! and sorry i stept over that already thinking its a GPU issue. it felt like me it spontaniously began after updating factorio after all

Apologies for the hard to follow post. I can be very chaotic (adhd). I do my best

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

I forgot to say that both UPS//FPS always are in Unison. it why i thought it maybe a memory bandwidth issie at first after diagnosing CPU//GPU performance stats. but that doesnt seem the case... from 2133mhz to 3600mhz doesnt matter much either

ive included pictures. for some reason my GPU really doesnt like hanging there.. it destroys my performance even having a 4080TI.

I guess the time usage ones are most interesting screenshots. the ones numbered 2
Attachments
Main Buss 40-50 FPS//UPS - entity time usage
Main Buss 40-50 FPS//UPS - entity time usage
Hanging above the mainbuss.png (4.02 MiB) Viewed 818 times
Main buss 40-50 FPS//UPS -  time usage (guess most interesting one)
Main buss 40-50 FPS//UPS - time usage (guess most interesting one)
Hanging above the mainbuss 2.png (3.42 MiB) Viewed 818 times
Nature 60 FPS//UPS - entity time usage
Nature 60 FPS//UPS - entity time usage
Hanging above nature.png (6.07 MiB) Viewed 818 times
black screen 60 FPS//UPS - entity time usage
black screen 60 FPS//UPS - entity time usage
Hanging above blackness.png (673.34 KiB) Viewed 818 times
black screen 60 FPS//UPS - time usage
black screen 60 FPS//UPS - time usage
Hanging above blackness 2.png (732.77 KiB) Viewed 818 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

FPS is dropping because your computer can't update the game logic fast enough due to the amount of things you have built. FPS will never be > UPS and in your case UPS is < 60 so FPS is < 60.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _factorio/
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

Hmm thats awkward as my base is about same size when i use my PC from 2013 compared to this new one...

Why does it work good on a black screen? thats kind of confusing to me.

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

+ my CPU is sleeping... only the first core seems to be a little busy with something

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

SpleT wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:38 pm
Hmm thats awkward as my base is about same size when i use my PC from 2013 compared to this new one...
Do you have the save file from 2013? Because I suspect you are miss-remembering the size comparison.
SpleT wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:38 pm
Why does it work good on a black screen? thats kind of confusing to me.
The game is doing different things between the two screenshots (you let it run more or less between the two screenshots).

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

Well yeah else the debug stats dont update i think… i i stream on twitch splet its all there too 😸

My 4770k pc is from 2013… not my last playthrough on it!!! That mustve been in 2021 orso.. yes i have all the save files still. Ill attach soon or give link to drive cause file size is rather big haha

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

When looking at that remember the most important thing from the wiki
Since Factorio aims for 60 ticks per second, the game has 16.667ms to calculate each tick. If it takes longer than this, then your UPS will drop below 60.
Even on the "quieter" black screenshot you have update time 15ms.
So update time alone nearly eats everything.
On the other screenshot you have 19ms so 60fps was impossible even before it came to the gpu

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

Yeah that’s still weird though… its almost like factorio is a single core game… my factory isnt much bigger as the one on my old 4770k in what i played around 2021 as far as i recall… ima post it in a bit

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

Here ya go... Its been 3 years so i hope its the correct one... I remember having the same progress in the game as I have right now... just unlocked the first tier of the space sciences green orange blue and pink...

From what i remember back then in 2021 i trimmed the surface more actively to reduce map size. I didnt had M2's back then so it was more needed. I build more in space in nauvis orbit but i had less throughput on main planet as it was a bit different back then as i remember with the K2+SE mods. So it should not be a too huge difference in active stuff...

Ive also just tested my new save on my old 4770K as it stands besides me on my second desk... and as i expected the performance on my old PC is nearly the same with my new game... That 4770K is overclocked though so even though it has only 4 cores instead of 12 on this new one... the single core performance is very good... i guess thats why i could stick around on Factorio with my old 2013 PC till 2022 when i bought this new one....

So yeah... is this game a singlecore game? Cause that would explain everything. Doesnt matter much if I play on my 2013 or my 2022 new one :p

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DUcVBY ... sp=sharing
Attachments
I7_4770K performance nearly the same.png
I7_4770K performance nearly the same.png (2.77 MiB) Viewed 604 times

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

Theres no shame in saying that. Dont get me wrong here. Im a software dev myself working at asml and i know all about threading nightmares brrr :p

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

short answer: factorio tries to use multithreading whenever possible.
For details, see the FFF blog posts; optimizations, including parallelization, are a recurring topic there. The ideas and suggestions section in this forum also has its share of great multithreading ideas(tm) and why they won't work; usually they run afoul of the games determinism. A powerful modding API, determinism and multithreading don't mix well.

Regarding your hardware, how does the memory bandwidth/speed compare between both systems? Your description of idle-ish CPU and less than 60 UPS sounds like you might be bottlenecked there.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Now can you also post your current save?

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

i did!

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

The test i just did though, playing my new save on my old computer is actually a better measurement. it plays nearly as well as my new PC henche i think the singlecore limitation :)

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

I understand. Ive a lot of things running then that cant be spread out over my 12 cores. i might have to down//upgrade to a CPU with better singlecore performance or learn a bit about how i can build in factorio such a way that the engine can do that more. ill look into it

Return to “Technical Help”