[1.1.101] Performance regression causing severe stuttering

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.101] Performance regression causing severe stuttering

Post by DrNefario »

Edit: The issue was my bluetooth keyboard, Factorio stutters every time Windows tries (then fails) to connect to it. If your issue is still present 1.1.82 or below it's unrelated to this one since 1.1.83 is the first version with input switching.

On my machine ^1.1.83 has a serious bug that makes the game near unplayable. See the attached videos.
I've tried changing practically every setting I can find, updating the NVIDIA drivers, unplugging my side monitor, multiple restarts, disabling windows hardware GPU scheduling, etc.
The only thing that fixed it was downgrading to 1.1.82 or below.

I'm happy to upload any extra files if you need them.

Both videos are from the demo versions with no settings changed, for some reason most versions in the archive only have the demo available.

Version 1.1.83:

Version 1.1.82 (no issue):

Thanks.
Attachments
factorio_v1_1_83.webm
(23.53 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
factorio_v1_1_82.webm
(26.2 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
factorio-current-1_1_82.log
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
factorio-current-1_1_83.log
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by DrNefario on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panzerknacker
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.101] Performance regression causing severe stuttering

Post by Panzerknacker »

I have to say I also noticed some strange performance issues on one of my older machines, in the same initial demo level. I never tried the older version of the game on it but since the same system can run Crysis I figured it should be able to run that first empty demo level without stuttering.

For me it particularly helped to disable clouds, animated trees/water and have some others settings on 'Low' (pretty much the default settings were optimal).

Another thing I noticed that the stuttering/framedrops would also intensify massively when having mouse-hover overlays open such as machine properties (in world or items in inventory).
Last edited by Panzerknacker on Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrNefario »

While that might be related, this specific performance issue happens no matter what level I play, even the menu simulations have clear stutter in v1.1.83+.

My machine is also fairly capable; an AMD 5800X3D and 2070 super should be plenty for Factorio.

Panzerknacker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

For me it's also no matter what level I play, in the bigger levels it's even worse.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

1.1.83 added controller support and I recall people reporting stuttering related to controllers in the past (viewtopic.php?p=576844#p576844 108781). So try disconnecting any controllers that you might have connected.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrNefario »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:47 pm
Try disconnecting any controllers that you might have connected.
I don't have any plugged in to disconnect, and the only one I use is a DualSense over bluetooth. Should I try unpairing it?

DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrNefario »

Update: It was my keyboard.

I have a bluetooth keyboard that I keep plugged in with USB, and at some point I must've cleared the keyboard's bluetooth pairing because Windows was repeatedly trying and failing to connect to it. Now that I've unpaired the keyboard Factorio is running flawlessly again. Strangely enough this wasn't an issue in any other game I've played, I'm glad to have this solved. Thanks!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Is there some way I could reproduce this on my end to see about why the stuttering happens? I assume it's something in the SDL controller logic but without a way to reproduce it, I would just be blindly guessing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DrNefario
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrNefario »

It seems like the issue itself is unrelated to bluetooth, but simply that there's a stutter any time a keyboard is added or removed in Windows. You should be able to reproduce the stutter by plugging any keyboard in while the game's running, though it won't be persistent unless you repeatedly plug/unplug it.

Personally I'd be fine with a log message when new inputs are added, it would've made discovering the real issue much faster.

Return to “Technical Help”