New Gamer PC, poor factorio performance

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
jjjj12212
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New Gamer PC, poor factorio performance

Post by jjjj12212 »

Hi everyone,

Our old PC was running a massive Factorio factory running at 7.0/7.0 FPS/UPS respectively.
the specs were the following:
i7-6700K @ 4.0Ghz
32Gb Ram @ 2133Mhz
GTX1080 (forgot how much VRam)
Game installed on a traditional HDD
(Windows 10)

Our replacement machine is now running the same Factorio factory at a whopping 5.2/11.2 FPS/UPS. Huge disappointment as I built this machine to hopefully improve this FPS/UPS to be more playable, not to make it worse.
the new specs are the following:
Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ 5Ghz
64Gb Ram @ 6000Mhz (DDR5)
RTX 4070Ti w 12Gb VRam
Game installed on NVMe gen 3 M.2
(Windows 10)

I made sure AMD/Nvidea Drivers are installed but I don't know what to do or why the performance is this bad. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
jjjj12212

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New Gamer PC, poor factorio performance

Post by computeraddict »

jjjj12212 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:13 pm
Hi everyone,

Our old PC was running a massive Factorio factory running at 7.0/7.0 FPS/UPS respectively.
the specs were the following:
i7-6700K @ 4.0Ghz
32Gb Ram @ 2133Mhz
GTX1080 (forgot how much VRam)
Game installed on a traditional HDD
(Windows 10)

Our replacement machine is now running the same Factorio factory at a whopping 5.2/11.2 FPS/UPS. Huge disappointment as I built this machine to hopefully improve this FPS/UPS to be more playable, not to make it worse.
the new specs are the following:
Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ 5Ghz
64Gb Ram @ 6000Mhz (DDR5)
RTX 4070Ti w 12Gb VRam
Game installed on NVMe gen 3 M.2
(Windows 10)

I made sure AMD/Nvidea Drivers are installed but I don't know what to do or why the performance is this bad. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
jjjj12212
Your simulation performance improved and your fps decreased. Did you change anything about your monitor setup?

jjjj12212
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jjjj12212 »

Hi ComputerAddict,

We are using the same monitor setup (1080p), but instead of a DVI connector/, we are now using HDMI.
(Side note, we will be upgrading the monitor very soon)

Thanks for the link Loewchen, I'll be replying this post with the additional debug info once I get my hands on them.

Thanks,

jjjj12212

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Maybe also try the savefile on somebody else's computer.

You can also try to run some factorio benchmarks from this site and check, if you get reasonable/comparable results for those other maps.
https://factoriobox.1au.us

If unlucky, it's just 7 UPS to 11.2 UPS, which is 60% better, but I would have expected more.

The FPS however doesn't make sense, it should be same as UPS

datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by datarza »

Last edited by datarza on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Note that some benchmarkers have found the Vcache on the X3D chips doesn't help Factorio performance much if the map is too big for the important bits to fit in the cache. At that point the bottleneck is raw latency to the DDR memory same as a normal processor.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

11.2/7 is 1.6, your 7800x3d is delivering 60% better performance, you were cruising at 70, the new rig blows by it at 112, kinda leaving it for dead. That's right in line with what you'd expect if the extra cache was not enough to tank most or all of the working set. So ~20% better core clock, vastly better bandwidth but depending on your CL count likely as not even slightly *worse* latency, those are the bottlenecks.

What's up with the graphics performance is a separate question, that can't be right.

... missed that this was a necro, sorry. Guessing OP got it straightened out long ago.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

robot256 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:43 pm
quyxkh wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:30 pm
Note that this thread is over 5 months old. I don't know know why it was rez'd by datarza just to post that picture....
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by datarza »

In short: it does not matter what CPU+Memory you have, you can build a large base that Factorio can not calculate, and it doesn't depend on CPU+Memory. This depends on the physical limitations of the simulation. Maybe in the future, 20 years from now, we will have faster processors that can calculate your database three times faster, maybe four times faster, maybe not.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I'll close it here, if the op still has issues they can open a new topic following 68653.

Return to “Technical Help”