Severe hitching when placing items

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mrchris2000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Severe hitching when placing items

Post by mrchris2000 »

Hi, this issue has just started happening and I don't understand why, whenever I place any item - a belt for example - the game freezes for a noticable period of time. Given this save is for a multiplayer server this causes repeated 'server not responding' issues. If I just idle, or move items around inventory its fine, its just putting something into the game world that causes the problem.

I've attached the save file and the log.

One note which shouldn't (but may?) have something to do with it is that I did save scum on this once and rolled back to an older save by deleting the other 4 autosaves; I don't think this should have an impact though as I've done it previously with no issue.

Thoughts?
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(70.73 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
BrokenSE.zip
(6.25 MiB) Downloaded 20 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Severe hitching when placing items

Post by Rseding91 »

One of the mods you're using has set friendly_base_influence_radius to 333. The default is 2. That means each time you build or remove an entity it has to check a 333 chunk radius instead of the default 2.

The default would check a 5x5 chunk area centered on the changed chunk or 25 chunks

The value in your save checks a 667x667 chunk area centered on the changed chunk or 444'889 chunks.

I don't know which mod changed it, or maybe someone with a console command changed it - but that's crazy. Setting it back to 2 will fix it.

Code: Select all

/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.friendly_base_influence_radius = 2
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mrchris2000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mrchris2000 »

Interesting. That has indeed fixed it, thanks. Odd that it appeared to have just started happening, but maybe it was a mod update at some point.

Thanks!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I extracted all of the mods that your save is using and none of them change that value. So, if it was changed it was a previous version of a mod, a mod you since removed, or someone with a console command.

There's also the extremely rare chance it was memory corruption on that specific value but the exact number of bits required to make it end up as 333 seems unlikely.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”