IP address conflicting with itself when making a headless server

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Dirtinator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

IP address conflicting with itself when making a headless server

Post by Dirtinator »

I have searched for various solutions online for about 4 hours but I have given up at this point and need help. i have downloaded the headless version of the game and made a .bat file with instructions on launching the game with a certain file and server settings. those both work however my ip has for some reason refused to work no matter what i do. i have set up my router to allow port forwarding with the port 31497. If i do not specify a an IP to --bind to it shows conflicting IP adresses where the first part of the IP is identical but the port is different (like in the image) and if i do specify a port using --bind it simply says IP address not valid in its context. is there anything else i can do?
Attachments
Photo of the conflicting IP adress ports.
Photo of the conflicting IP adress ports.
Screenshot 2023-09-13 165235.png (36.03 KiB) Viewed 453 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: IP address conflicting with itself when making a headless server

Post by Loewchen »

You can search for the error message on the forum to find details, in general there are two causes, your router randomizing the port or your ISP using NAT.

Dirtinator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dirtinator »

Loewchen wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:21 pm
You can search for the error message on the forum to find details, in general there are two causes, your router randomizing the port or your ISP using NAT.
i have been looking for these kind of things but usually i just find posts where people say the problem magically fixed itself or they were unresolved. are there any concrete solutions to either problem if i want to host a headless server?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If its port randomization you can disable it, if you are behind nat you can't do anything but change the isp.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Dirtinator wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm
i have set up my router to allow port forwarding with the port 31497.
Did you mean 34197?
If i do not specify a an IP to --bind to it shows conflicting IP adresses where the first part of the IP is identical but the port is different (like in the image) and if i do specify a port using --bind it simply says IP address not valid in its context.
The IP address given with "--bind" must be an IP address on the host where you are running Factorio. When using port forwarding, it must also match the internal (destination) IP address in the port forwarding configuration. However, in most cases there is no need to use "--bind" at all.

Return to “Technical Help”